HELP! Calling Dervman or other Ka owners

Damn engine idle flare has come back on my Ka - it did it last winter aswell but went away by spring - bascially it revs itself when the clutch is depressed - but only occasionally, and if its done it once itll do it most of the time until you switch the ignition off and on.

Damn annoying on up gear changes, not so bad on down change..

I think its something to do with the idle control valve or so I've read... searched on Dervys site but couldnt find anything...

How do I fix it?!

Ben

Reply to
Ben Organ

Get on google groups, I believe there are instructions there. The general gist is to get the ICV off and clean it with some carb cleaner spray. The screws holding it together might be security ones (secure Torx?) IIRC.

Reply to
Doki

All I can find is posts saying the ICV needs cleaning. I know wher it is.. but how do I clean it? Don't wanna take it to bits and break something - thats happened too many times!

Hm.... going to check Haynes see if it gives any clues...

Reply to
Ben Organ

Hmmm.. mentions about fitting new O-ring seals when you put it back together.. and doesnt give any clues how to clean it... Would spraying some sort of inlet cleaner clear it up? Or is the bit that needs cleaning not in the airflow path? Or am I talking complete bollox?

Reply to
Ben Organ

It may be the wiring loom fault, too...

Reply to
DervMan

What wiring loom fault ....?

Reply to
Ben Organ

Heh. Some early model Kas had a wiring loom fault whereby the donk would stall, or idle speed would flare up. How old is your Ka?

Second, there's very limited information on the idle control valve on my site... because we've yet to have to clean it! But when we do I'll put a feature up on it. :)

Reply to
DervMan

V reg 1999, never stalled - other than me being a muppet - just flares when declutched.

Any idea wher ther is info?

Reply to
Ben Organ

It's marked No. 3 on this picture:

If you disconnect it, the car will run without it, but I suspect it'll throw things out with only the exhaust o2 sensor to give the computer info and so you'll never be running on the right mixture.

Reply to
Doki

Hmmmm sounds familiar...

On our Klub site, when it's completed... Or hope that Kermit's ICV goes...

Reply to
DervMan

Hmmm.... might take it to a garage and tell them to take it to bits and clean it - fed up of doing stuff like that without proper instructions and then breaking something, and I'm guessing the ICV is fairly important - I know it'll run without it but I don't particularly wanna mess up the mixture...

Reply to
Ben Organ

What exactly is the wiring loom fault? How is it fixed?

Reply to
Ben Organ

Old fashioned carb cleaners pretty good for most idle valves.

Reply to
Duncan Wood