Help! Car far too wet!

Hi, first post in here so don't bite :)

I've had my Clio dci (2004) from new, and not had any (serious) problems with it until now. On my way back from Glastonbury a month ago (after forcibly having the car pushed by three people through the car park mud) I noticed the sound of running water coming from underneath the car (may have been from the engine, hard to pinpoint when driving). It comes and goes, and is doing it at the moment (very loudly, sounds like a river), but it only does it when the car heating system is turned on (does it whether the A/C is on or off), and only does it when the dial is turned 75-100% hot. Also, the front carpets, especially the driver side, are absolutely soaking and have been for weeks, and the inside of the windscreen gets very steamed up.

And the scary bit, which has happened twice now in the last month, when driving along with a clear windscreen, suddenly in the space of two seconds the whole thing will complain steam up rendering me completely blind. Fortunately both times it has happened have been on local roads where I've been in the left lane in plenty of space, but it has the potential to cause a fatal incident. I've had one person look at it quickly (his first thought was the pollen filter was clogged up but this was checked and turned out to be fine) and couldn't find anything immediately wrong with it (granted he was only here in passing for five minutes), and his only suggestion as to the cause was that the bit under the wipers on the driver side that covers the pollen filter bay was no longer sealed fully, and that it could simply be the vast amount of rain we've had getting in through that loose seal, but we've had a few nice days in Bradford lately and nothing's changed, and it's starting to bother me now. I've searched high and low online and the most useful thing I found said this:

/on

Misty Windows that don?t clear, wet carpet, steam from dash vents, smell of antifreeze [Anything watercooled with a heater ] Submitted by Dave C

Happens when the heater-matrix (which carries hot water from the engine to warm the cabin) springs a leak due to corrosion or damage due to excess pressure. The first sign of this might be a wet carpet in the passenger side foot well. Unfortunately it?s probably also one of the first components that gets placed in the car when constructing the interior, and typically means the removal of the dash-board in order to repair or replace. It?s a big job and shouldn?t be undertaken lightly, and it?s also important to find out why the matrix has deteriorated. A failing head-gasket leading to pressurization of the cooling system is a common reason (check for a leaking or flow restricted radiator in conjunction with this). The best action you can take against preventing this problem, is to ensure that you have your coolant changed every two years, and to ensure that the system is appropriatly flushed each time.

/off

This sounds scary and not good, but doesn't account for the river noise, and I've found nothing anywhere online that suggests what that noise is. Anyone any ideas?

Reply to
Zomoniac

Probably the heater matrix is leaking, the running water sound is caused by the coolant level dropping and allowing air into the cooling system, the liquid and air makes a noise as it runs through the pipes, liquid alone is almost silent, which is why you didn't hear it before. This is usually a multi hundred pound repair on a french car (crap design). (only about 25 quid on a Ford cortina mk3 or 4, due to sensible design!) If you leave it long enough the coolant will get dangerously low and wreck the engine. Quickest way out is a trade in.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

The other alternative is water in the sills.

Sounds odd, I know - but P10 shape Primeras suffer badly from this.

I solved it with a couple of small, well-placed holes drilled in the under side of the sills.

Reply to
SteveH

Can this be repaired under warranty? I still have a month left before it turns three. Also, should note that my coolant tank is full and hasn't dropped at any point.

Reply to
Zomoniac

In news:_wQpi.9271$% snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk, MrCheerful wittered on forthwith;

Wot 'e said.

Reply to
Pete M

Ahhh, It /could/ be that your aircon system needs topping up. Some AC systems turn on the A/C at certain temp and / or air direction. If the a/c has lost a fair bit of gas that can cause gurgling from behind the dash.

Also, if the drain for the A/C condensor is blocked, that'd explain the large amount of water on the carpet if you use the A/C a lot. The ice / frost that gathers on the evaporator needs to go somewhere, if the drain is blocked it'll end up on the carpet.

These /should/ be covered on the warranty.

Reply to
Pete M

That sounds less panic-inducing! I have my A/C on all the time, usually on about 2/3 heat on setting 2 (of 4) pointing at the dash, and don't touch it unless I get uncomfortable. Your symptoms sound about right. I'll try get it booked in.

Thanks!

Reply to
Zomoniac

"Pete M" wrote in message news:f88l8m$jf4$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

Actually I now like the idea of the aircon blocked and gurgling, it is certainly possible, especially if the coolant level has stayed the same, mind you, she/he says it happens with air con on or off, so ??? Perhaps the muddy field blocked the air con drain, over a few days the heater filled with air con condensate, which then sloshes around and leaks out/makes a noise ?

Reply to
MrCheerful

I'm surprised nobody here has thought about the muddy field part. I'd haxard a guess that the air con evaporator drain pipe is blocked by mud, with the result the heater unit is sitting full of water, and should you happen to drive a certain way the water is getting sloshed up onto the heater matrix, where it then steams up the windows.

Reply to
moray

I had exactly the same problem on a 99 passat. Took me months to work it out. The drain pipe that took condensation that formed on the air con pipes behind the dash had been blocked by mud where it exited behind the engine. Each time I ran the air con the passenger side carpet was soaked and I could actually see the water running down from behind the dash.

Reply to
jerrylove7

Got it sorted (kinda). The casing for the heater matrix (or something, a box behind the dash near the stereo) was full of water. Dunno how it got in, but there's no way out. Put a small pinprick hole in it and drained the water into a cup. No more scary running water noise! Now has a hole, so if it gets more water in it it'll just gush into the footwell, so will block it up at some point, but sorted for now :)

Thanks for all your help.

Reply to
Zomoniac

You shouldn't of needed to drill a hole. There should be a drain pipe to drain the water away. If you leave it as it is, the water constantly running into footwell will cause the carpet to go mouldy and stink.

Reply to
moray

"shouldn't *have*" - sorry, pet hate.

Anyway, it sounds like there's a pinhole leak in the heater matrix, or a leaky joint where the pipes push/clamp onto the pipe stubs.

I'm surprised if there's supposed to be a drain pipe in there, in the outside airbox (feeding the cabin air intake under the bonnet) yes, but not inside the car with the heater matrix.

The heater matrix is a DIY job in most cars if you have thin hands and don't mind getting your knuckles scraped a lot. Some cars are very prone to getting airlocks when you refill the coolant system, though.

Reply to
PC Paul

I don't do queens english! Am fi north o' th' border ;-)

The car in question has aircon fitted, so it'll have a drain from the evaporator area of the heater matrix, which is most likely the source of the water (the water condenses on the evaporator when the aircons running). Given it happened after being stuck in a muddy field, the pipes most likely blocked underneath somewhere.

It's french. It'll be awkward, and it'll need bled!

Reply to
moray