HELP needed

I have got the following probs with my Ford Ka. Its only done 43k.

** After a few gear changes engine starts to over-rev during a gear change whilst the clutch is disengaged ** Used to only over-rev on the up-shifts but now also on down-shifts ** Clutch has slipped twice the last two days when accelerating from a stop in first gear; no power being transmitted at all ** When pulling off from stop in first often hear slight whining sound and occasional judder ** Always grates into reverse ** Today noticed a faint knocking sound from engine at a period of several seconds. It persists at a constant period regardless of acceleration.

I know the problem may be the clutch or transmission. But I would appreciate some insight into any particular area it could be and how likely is the cost of repair going to be. Thanks.

Reply to
Matt

In message , Matt writes

This is normally the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). My wife's Ka has done this occasionally all its life and I couldn't be arsed to change the TPS because on the older models it involves replacing the plug and harness too.

The other week it started doing it most of the time and I found this advice elsewhere on the net. It has worked for me and I've not had the problem reoccur :-

"On the bulkhead are 2 large oval connectors, (later models are square). They are often covered with a black plastic housing which can be prised off. Disconnect and reconnect these multi-plugs several times. Then remove fuse4 for 10 minutes and roadtest it".

I used a stiff pencil brush to clean the pins inside the plugs. There was evidence of light corrosion on the pins which could give a poor contact.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

ICV.

ICV

Bollocksed clutch, or possibly hydraulics.

As above.

RTFM. Put clutch down, into neutral, 2 seconds, into reverse. No crunch.

God knows.

Reply to
Doki