HFM??

Just picked up Mondeo from dealers. Turns out the aux belt tensioner=20 pulley wasn't the problem but the alternator was.

Anyway, they fitted a new one - total bill =A3210 - without telling me=20 first.

=A3210 is a lot of fooking money for an alternator, even with main dealer= =20 labour so I do a bit of ringing around.

Well my favourite reconditioners won't even touch them as they're such=20 a bastard to do so that kind of got me a bit worried. Phones a few=20 factors to be told it'll be between =A3140 and =A3170 depending on which=20 one of 4 it is that's fitted to my car.

So..potters off to the main dealers and gets the bill. =A3114+VAT for a=20 brand new genuine Ford alternator. FUCK ME, THAT'S CHEAP. 1.5hrs labour=20 for investigation and fitting.

Turns out I got quite a good deal. Bit of a heart attack with the=20 labour but you need a special tool to relieve the aux belt tensioner in=20 the first place (could do it with a 1/2" ratchet but the engine is too=20 close to the inner wing to get it in) and it's still a good hours job=20 just to change the belt.

Explained to the woman who had rung me that I'm used to =A350 for a Capri= =20 alternator and it being 10 minutes to swap it over - 5 of that spent=20 putting the kettle on for a brew when the job is done, so it came as a=20 bit of a shock.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

In message , Conor writes

My Focus 2.0 TDCi alternator failed a week out of the 3 year warranty. I get on quite well with the tech at my main dealer and he managed to get Ford to pay 40% as a goodwill gesture. Still cost me £220 which I didn't think was too bad.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I bought a DS alternator last year ... 150 quid.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I sincerely hope I don't need one anytime soon.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's a cheap one!

Dave Baker

That's for the older 4.0 diesel... not many made...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

What's the rating on those? 1.21GW?!?

Reply to
Chris Dugan

option=com_virtuemart&sku=A0121545902&Search=Go&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&option=com_virtuemart>

they are, but thankfully it's illegal to do 88mph in the UK.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

: "Check the alternator one way clutch when the aux belt is off...." !!!!!

Had the same thing on a Passat B5.5 ver 1.1.1.2 which shore its aux belt tensioner mounting bolt off half a dozen times, the last of which it shore the timing belt tensioner mounting off and bent some valves- then it came to me.

Took some head scratching before the cause was found...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Just done my Disco Alternator ... £50+ for a recon one, £74 brand new

100 Amp, so bought new and fitted myself. Now it's nice and quiet.

Mind, I'd waited 'till the rattling had become a clanging bell sound vefore I did it ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Apparently a common failure, so I read the other day.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Sometimes other things are added into the alternator. IIRC Vauxhall/Isuzu diesels have the vacuum pump in there, so they certainly used to be expensive.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I'm wondering, does my car have a vacuum pump?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

On the TDIs / petrols or both???

Reply to
JackH

If its a diesel, definitely.

--=20 Conor

I only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't=20 looking good either. - Scott Adams

Reply to
Conor

All diesels do, don't they?

They can't draw a vacuum for the brakes etc off the inlet manifold like a petrol, IIRC.

Reply to
JackH

why would it need one?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Because as mentioned in my other post, a diesel can't use the pressure from the inlet manifold to generate vacuum for the brakes etc.

I believe it's to do with the higher compression ratio of a diesel, but could be wrong.

Reply to
JackH

A diesel engine isn't throttled like a petrol engine, so there's no vacuum created for things like brakes. Diesels have a vacuum pump to make up for this.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

There's no throttle on a diesel, so there's no significant vacuum in the inlet manifold. Unless you've got a truly stuffed air filter.

Reply to
Duncan Wood