HHO - more

A certain UK company, with an annual fuel bill of £25M is having a HHO systems (which has a NASA involvement) installed to some of its vehicles, as a trial.

The installation is supposedly quite a complex one.

That is as much as I know.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Come back when you know more.

Reply to
IanT

HHO - as in water? Hydrogen powered cars are not that new, anyway. What's the big deal?

Reply to
GB

Basically...

You fill a container with water, then by electrolysis turn it into an highly explosive mix of hydrogen and oxygen (known as Browns Gas). This is the same stuff as comes off your battery when you charge it.

The gas is then fed into the engine and burnt with the diesel or petrol, which is supposed to save fuel. Problem is, the theory does not quite hang together. Creating the gas must use power created by your engine and some of the power must be wasted, so to save fuel it must be better than 100% efficient which defies the laws of physics -unless there is something going on which we do not yet understand.

There are lots of people experimenting with it, who are convinced it does work - but this is the first time so far as I know that a large organisation has given it enough credence to run proper trials.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No, it's revoking the law of conservation of energy that's new. That'll be Obama's legislature, I suppose.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

So, you do this on the move? You're not using stored hydrogen, then? It's not just done whilst you are idling at traffic lights then?

I vaguely remember seeing something about this in the paper and thinking it must be a joke. Still, if that guy can sell spoof bomb detectors for many years, why not spoof HHO devices?

I suppose it's possible that this leads to more efficient burning of the petrol/diesel in some way?

Lots of naive people believe in all sorts of zany theories, but I'll be interested to see some scientific trials run.

Reply to
GB