hissing mondeos

Hi all,

Coming to work today, I noticed a loud hissing sound from the engine bay when revving hard under load. (not noticible at any other time).

It makes a nice change from the metallic rattling which I heard from the exhaust a few weeks ago, but is causing me mild concern.

The performance of the car hasn't changed, so I assume that it's not a blocked CAT.

Any ideas of what it could be? I'll try and have a look tonight, but it'll be dark before I get home :(

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark

You haven't driven through a snake pit have you ;-)

Reply to
JK

Not recently....how long would a snake be expected to live inside the engine bay?

Perhaps I'll wait until the weekend to have a look - I'd not like to be bitten in the dark ;)

Reply to
Mark

Hey, don't knock it till you've tried it :->

James Dore

It certainly sounds like the cat has broken up though.

Are the heater controls still working? These often dropped the vacuum pipe off under the manifold.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Thanks Andy,

The MOT is due in a couple of weeks, so I'll change the CAT and see if it's better.

I'll check the vacuum pipe too.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

Mark, Does the car have A/Con ? The compressor discharging can hiss for up to a minute after stopping.

The Vacuum hose under the coil pack does split on mondeos but this usually manifests itself with high idle etc..... There is two 10mm hoses from the exhaust to the Exhaust pressure transducer and they blow off if the cat is getting blocked.... the hiss will be more pronounced as the RPM increases... just to the rear left of the battery box.

other than that I say look for that bloody python under the hood !

JK

Reply to
JK

Hi JK,

Thanks.

No A/Con - I wish!

It's a Mk1 too, I should have said this.

I'll put my head under the bonnet over the weekend, but from what's been said the cat seems the most popular cause :( I thought that it was going some weeks ago when I heard a metallic rattling from inside the cat, so I'll just have pop down the breakers for another. Poor things done 150k, so is a little tired now.

Cheers, Mark

Reply to
Mark

FWIW when my cat went (Mk II Mondeo @ 85K) it started with a light buzzing that got progressively worse over a month until the matrix let go all together and blocked the pipe meaning the car wouldn't rev under load higher than about 2K.

Seem to remember a new cat was £150ish plus labour.

Cheers

Kev

Reply to
Kevin