Megane ABS light on.

Another question about my Megane ('98 1.6 8v with ABS) post-repairs! I just changed a CV boot which require removing the driver's side driveshaft. Part of the job involved disconnecting the ABS sensor from the hub (I'm assuming I just removed the connector only, and the sensor is still embedded in the hub). Since putting it all back together the ABS light has now come on. So I'm pretty sure its reporting a fault with this sensor, as its the one I've been fiddling with. I can't see how I could have damaged the thing, and the connector seemed to go back on OK, any ideas what it might be, or how I can investigate further?

BTW, the CV boot change job was a right nightmare. The tie-rod end need angle grinding off in the end it has rusted on solid. Getting the spider off the end of the driveshaft was a million times harder than any driveshaft (OK, two others!) I've dismantled. As for getting grease everywhere...

Reply to
Davemar

Check for iron filings ( from the Angle grinding ) sticking to the ABS sensor. Theres not much gap between the sensor and the actuator - any "filings" in and around the gap may well cause the fault

Reply to
Simon G

That's a good thought, I'll do that.

Reply to
Davemar

I cleaned it all up and it made no difference. I tried to measure if there was any resistance across the two pins on the sensor, but couldn't get the probes into the narrow slots. I assume it is just an induction coil of some sort, so should measure quite a low resistance. Maybe it has gone open circuit; as I tried to clean the connections the best I could.

Reply to
Davemar