Mondeo Mark 2 - Hissing Noise

Hi,

I have a mark 2 Mondeo, with about 125000 on the clock.

On accelleration it makes a "hissing" noise.

A local garage said "that is the timing belt slipping on the pulleys" and wanted the best part of 400 quid to replace the timing belt, but

a) Its a toothed belt so failure woudl be "jumping" not slipping b) If it were slipping/jumping the engine would be mashed.

So, I was suspicious of the auxillary drive belt, but if this were slipping I would expect to see the "battery charging" light on the dash to light up?

I /think/ that the steering is overly heavy, which would I suppose support the auxillary drive theory.

Sorry to use you all as a sounding board, but any advice would be very gratefully received.

George

Reply to
George

Aux belt sliding on the siezed tensioner - familiar issue with this engine.

Cos to fix - £10 for the belt plus about an hour at a competant mechanic.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

plus the tensioner

Reply to
mrcheerful

Not if the mechanic is competant...

Reply to
Paul Cummins

if the tensioner bearing has seized there is no point freeing it, replacement is the right thing to do.

Reply to
mrcheerful

A competent mechanic will always replace tensioners even if a visible check suggests they don't need replacing.

Same with water pumps - countless people save themselves £50-£100 at belt change time, only for the pump to fail and take the cambelt with it

10k miles later.....
Reply to
SteveH

Thankfully the previous owner of my car had the waterpump done as well

Reply to
Iridium

I've never retended to be an expert on cars - I wam here to ask questions. It just happens that I've seen this issue on this engine before.

You don't have to read my posts, you know, let alone reply.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

I've got a P reg 2.0 ghia outside. It made a hissing noise once. It turned out to be a collapsed cat. converter, which was causing back pressure in the exhaust system. This in turn caused a hose to an exhaust gas meter on the bulkhead of some sort (I can't be bothered to get the bookout ust now) to blow off. THIS was the hiss, but the cat was the cause.

Worth checking all rubber hoses. Follow them back from the big metal pipe coming out of the exhaust header.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

In message , Paul Cummins writes

.........yet you see fit to comment on the competency of professional mechanics despite admitting not to be an expert on cars?

You stated that a competent mechanic should free off a seized tensioner when anyone with half a clue knows that the tensioner should be replaced.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

No.

I stated that a competant mechanic CAN free it off.

This is the tensioner on an auxiliary belt. It's not mission-critical, unike a cambelt tensioner.

With a belt costing £10 and capable of being fitted by an amateur, freeing and greasing a small tensioner is not the be-all and end-all of premature vehicle failure.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

The heavy steering may be a clue here.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I don't agree, nowadays almost everything is vital, on some vehicles lack of belt means very poor brakes and no abs, not to mention very heavy steering, and worst of all no air con..

If a bearing seizes enough to make the belt slip then it needs replacing UNLESS you are in the middle of the desert, in which case feeding it grease would be great/

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Paul Cummins writes

Fuck off and stop mincing words to try and cover the fact that you don't have a clue.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Thanks Everyone, and thank you to Mike too.

I am somewhat stuck. It is "probably" the aux belt. The tensioner is shiny, which I guess suggests some slipping.

I am indeed also suspicious about the cat. So suspicious that I took it to Kwikfit yesterday, They said "The cat is probably starting to collapse", but they didn't see it as a big issue. Suggested I wait until MOT time.

Pretty pissed off with myself for not being able to distinguish where the noise is coming from.

Thanks all, and play nicely!

George

Reply to
George

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

There's one trick you can try. With the engine running and the belts/pulleys exposed, get a jug of water and slowly pour it over each pulley in turn. The defective one will shut up temporarily.

Reply to
Conor

Ooh that sounds good. when you say "Shut up", what do you mean?

Reply to
George

stop the hissing noise

Reply to