Honda CR-V common faults?

Hi.

We are considering one of these as our next family car. Honda reliability, roomy, space for the camping gear for those trips out, faux 4wd for grassy campsite roads.

Looks ideal. I've read many reviews online but not found a common faults site. Maybe there isn't one, but someone here may have experience on these cars. What do I look out for?

I'm looking to pay no more than 4k, so expect a '99ish car. Got to be manual, Jan won't drive an auto.

Thanks for any info.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Not much !

Evidence of a tow bar = walk away- these are not designed to tow anything (other than a small camping trailer) as the rear suspension isnt manly enough. (get underneath you will see what I mean)

MPG can be fairly heavy, even with a light right foot (this will be the modded-for-better-mpg original 2 litre) expect no more than about 31-32mpg at best.

Damaged / stained / mucky interior from kids running wild. - Plenty of ex-retired owner CRV's about- look for one of these, but beware it may have been town driven- a well exercised higher miler is always a better bet.

Absolutely sowing-machine running from the motor (just slightly tappety) means its healthy- good history of maintanace.

Go on condition rather than mileage alone. Dark red, dark blue or dark green the strongest colours, in ES or Exec trim.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

In message , Tim.. writes

"Sowing machine"? I think you spend too much time on that farm.

;)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Other weak point is rear diffs. Find an empty space, and drive it around on full lock. If you hear any sort of crunching/rubbing noise, the diff plates have become dry. They can sometimes be revived with a flush, but most times it'll need a new diff.

Reply to
moray

Viscous coupling surely?? (integral with the rear diff though)

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

I honestly don't know what part it was. We just done the usual eight circles on each full lock to see if it would sort itself out at the advice of the dealer, and if it didn't improve, we stuck them into the dealer under warranty. The dealer reckoned 9 out of 10 needed a new diff, as the flushing rarely worked.

People think that Honda's are reliable, but given the percentage of ours that end up in the dealer, they're no more reliable than any of the other makes.

Reply to
moray

What vehicles is the firm running at the moment?

T..

Reply to
Tim..

One of the biggest attractions of the CR-V is that there isn't very much to worry about. In fact, with no recalls affecting the car, and Warranty Direct reporting that it's one of the most reliable cars on their fleet, pretty much all you need to do is look out for a car that's in a colour you like, and with the specification you want.

As long as a CR-V has been maintained according to the schedule, it should run and run. The only note of caution is that the suspension bushes and brake discs may need attention after about 50,000 miles

Try and NOT get the 1 in a 100 that went off road or pulled something heavy

Model - Don't get the basic BUT don't pay extra for the executive version

(as with all cars - check its >>

Reply to
Tommy

Email / page Andy Hewitt from 'the other place' - he was not only a Honda service manager (or similar) he also owns a CR-V himself.... which probably tells you all you need know, to be honest.

Reply to
SteveH

Thanks for that Steve. Will send him a note soonest. Appreciate it.

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Quick 'thanks to all' for the knowledge. We're off to look at one in the morning so will watch for that diff!

Reply to
Mike Barnard

Anything and everything. Pretty much whatever the managers want, they can get within reason. But it seems to be mainly fords, vauxhalls and hondas just now, with a sprinkling of saabs and volvos We've also had a couple Toyotas appear recently.

I'm not having much to do with cars just now, as I'm currently on shifts, plus I seem to spend most of my time sorting electrics on Mercedes vans and lorries, with the odd Daf, Iveco or Transit thrown in. The sprinters are giving us that much greif, I've almost got the engine wiring memorised!

Reply to
moray