How difficult is it to...

...replace the steering rack on a chevrolet cavalier? Is this the kind of job a home mechanic should attempt, and is it worth doing on a 12 year old car worth perhaps 700 euros?

Reply to
Brian

Dunno your model but you can usually tell by looking. If it's a tight fit between subframe and engine, it will usually mean either raising the engine or dropping the subframe. If it's mounted clear of these might be quite easy. But I'd guess the first is more likely on modern cars. But what is the fault? Most usual is wear on the inner ball joints and the trackrod complete can usually be replaced in situ. A bad leak usually means replacement.

I'd invest in a Haynes if they do one - it's the sort of thing they usually cover.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's similar to the last one I did then it's quite high on the bulkhead & fairly easy.

Reply to
Duncan Wood