How much is an MOT fee

Just been charged £40.75 is that right? regards Si

Reply to
SW

Yep.

Grant Mason

In message , SW writes

No. The fee is currently £39.25 up to 8 passenger seats.

Paul Giverin

In message , Grant Mason writes

Which means that the similar but not identical URL I quoted is out of date :(

Reply to
Paul Giverin

The message from "SW" contains these words:

For a bus, possibly. Otherwise....well...there's one born every minute!

Reply to
Guy King

The message from Paul Giverin contains these words:

Eeeek! It's gone up again? I apologise for any unwary comments.

Reply to
Guy King

Guess theres hundreds born every minute and paying £40.75 as it is the correct price.

Thanks for the info Paul regards Si

Reply to
SW

Half price at National Tyres (depend on your location). I got a semi-synthetic oil & filter change, a full safety check, including all wheels off , brake examination & clean, plus an MOT for a total of £36. Why pay more?

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Because National apparently only use one grade of oil...

Reply to
Doki

apparently so shop around I get mine done for £25

Reply to
dojj

They do actually state 'subject to manufacturers recommendation'. My Nissan recommendation is SAE 10W/50 to 15W/50, to API SG/SH or better. How do you know which oil grade your main dealer uses & then charges you at least twice as much for the dubious privilege? I can't really believe that oil grades can be so critical. Oil grades are only recommended based on average ambient temperatures and maybe what was applicable ten years ago is possibly no longer valid, taking into account global warming effects. The most important factor is regular oil & filter changes. I'll let the group know when I've passed 100K miles. No problems so far and I'm half way there!

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

My main dealer doesn't do my oil changes.

Depends on the car I think. Apparently lots of the Ford engines must have

5W30 or you can get valve sticking problems.
Reply to
Doki

had one done on Tuesday £25

Reply to
Tom Burton

Mine last week was £30.00

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

I'm afraid it's very valid. All Ford Zetec engines (and any Ford cars manufactured recently, even if it the old Endura lump) _have_ to run on Ford spec 5W/30 oil.

The old spec was 10/40, which wasn't a problem, until they figured out that the pre May 1998 Zetec engines were suffering hydraulic tappet problems, because they were filling with oil, but it was too thick to come out, and this was causing the valves to stick (so I've heard).

All I know is that until my "local" place started using 5/30 in mine, I _definitely_ had a sticking valve problem, which was very common.

5W/30 is now (AFAIK) the standard oil for _all_ Fords.

If a modern (but old design) engine has been run-in on 5W/30, I've also heard (probably untrue) that once it's run in, and you use a thicker oil, you can actually blow oil seals.

The correct grade oil _is_ important, at least in Ford engines, and in VW engines which use variable length servicing - you can't just stick 20/50 in it. (TBH, I can't even understand the VW oil numbering scheme :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

In message , Pete Smith writes

It doesn't "have" to be used on the non-Zetecs though. They only started using it in the Ka's old pushrod donk for reasons of better economy and commonality with the rest of the Ford range.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Mine was £17.

Reply to
chris

Oil grades are only recommended based on average

You what? Global warming has raised average temperatures by maybe a degree or so in the last 10 years. Your telling me that affects oil more than winter/summer? If the seasonal variation is more than the year-to-year increase there cant be a problem!!!!

Reply to
Ben Organ

I didnt use the stated oil in the Ka and it ran fine.

Reply to
Ben Organ

bastid!!!! :)

Reply to