HELP - Electrics keep cutting out on 1999 Ford Ka!

I have a 1999 Ford Ka Collection, I have had it 11 months.

Since I bought it I've had an intermittent problem with the electrics. It starts as the radio cutting out when I push the brake or put on the lights or fan, the central locking is sluggish and extremely slow. It escalates to the point where the car just cuts out while driving or is dead when I turn the key - then jumps into life minutes later when I try again!

The garage have had it back more than 10 times and have replaced various connections, fuses, and I have had 2 new batteries, but the fault always returns within 1 - 6 weeks.

I've searched the net and contacted Ford but this does not appear to be a known problem. Anyone?????

Reply to
Rory

In message , Rory writes

It sounds like an earthing problem. The radio, heater fan and light switch share the same earthing point on the chassis, which is the one that the negative strap on the battery connects to. You might want to remove the connection (torx head screw), clean up the terminal and contact point on the chassis.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

There's usually a fusible link in the main lead somewhere close to the battery which is there to prevent a fire due to a short in an accident etc. For some reason these can sometimes go intermittent. If you can check this when the car is dead there will be 12 volts either side of it rather than zero.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Do you mean when the car is dead there will be 12 volts across it, rather than 0 volts when if everything is working OK ? :-) Andy Pandy

To e-mail, address hopefully, self-explanatory !

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Heh heh - yes, across it. You connect the meter to both sides either way round. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman

not sure if this is related but there is a known fault on Ka's where water runs down the harness at the nearside andINSIDE the engine ecu.causes alsorts of faults.get your ford dealer to check it

Reply to
Mindwipe