How easy is the following....

Replacing the rubber boot on the steering rack and on the CV joint on a 1986 Nissan Sunny and also replacing the front to rear brake pipe.

Im not a beginer at all but certainly not a fully trained mechanic, have rebuilt a few engines from scratch and worked on a few older 1970's Fords thats all. any info appreciated thanks Si

Reply to
SW

If you've built engines and worked on stuff before then you're probably able. Have you got tools and a reasonable place to do it may be relevant. For example, brake unions can be very difficult without those nice special wrenches ( like a ring but with a slot cut in it ).

Good luck.

Steve

Reply to
sro

Hi Steve Ill be working in my double garage, no pit or anything, just on the stands, , the brake pipes dont really worry me much to be honest sorry, should have said that in my original post, have done a couple of those before, it was more the rubber boots i was unsure about regards SI

Reply to
SW

If you have to replace the pipe, I'd be replacing the hoses too, so simply cut through them and use a ring spanner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

On the steering rack, you have to disconnect the track rod end from the track rod, so you'll need a puller. Also, when unscrewing the trackrod end, mark both it and the trackrod, and count the number of turns so you can put it back near correctly. Still get the tracking checked afterwards, though.

With the driveshaft, not sure about the Sunny, but it usually involves disconnecting at least the bottom swivel after removing the driveshaft nut

- this may be very tight and easier to do with the wheel on the ground - and may also need the top swivel and or anti-roll bar disconnected to swing the stub axle assembly clear.

Some put a second boot on taped out of the way so it's easy to change when the new one fails. ;-)

Don't even think of those split boots you can fit without removing the shaft - they don't last five minutes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

They last at least 5 miles at 30mph. Get's you to the MOT station so they can see it's been replaced and sign a certificate. Split by the time you get home.

Peter Hill