How much is the volvo worth?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The thing that would worry me is not the maintenance, but knowing that people beat the crap out of rental cars, and the chances of one having been properly broken in are slim to none. That can cause a lot of problems down the road.

Reply to
James Sweet

Our sales tax is typically around 8%, it varies by state though, some have none at all, though usually they make up for it by higher taxes for other things.

As far as I know, it only applies to things you mail order, there's no tax on that unless the company you order from operates out of your state, so if you mail order something from a company in CA and you live there as well, you pay tax on it. If you mail order from another state you don't. If you live in a state without sales tax you are exempt from paying it in a state that does normally.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's all relative, when the price doubles within a year it doesn't much matter if it started out at $1 or at $3, it still hurts.

Reply to
James Sweet

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Parish saying something like:

21%
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Stuart Gray" saying something like:

What? Are you on witness protection or a old rock star?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

At least gas/petrol is still less expensive than bottled water. Bottled water is at least $8 per gallon if you buy it in 16 oz bottles. When you think about it, it is amazing how cheap gas/petrol is. It must be found, wells drilled, crude oil pumped, transported thousands of miles, refined, and delivered to the pumps. For the bottled water they can just put a filter on a city water spigot.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

A very cogent observation. Several brands are nothing further than bottled city water -- Aquafina for example, uses Houston city water as the source.

Beverly

Reply to
Bev A. Kupf

The message from "Bev A. Kupf" contains these words:

What was that CocaCola bottled water that crashed so spectacularly in the UK?

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Dasani

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

Ah, yes. Wonder who thought they were going to get away with flogging filtered tap-water for long. Stories like that rarely stay secret for long.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh yes, that's certainly true. I rarely bitch about the "high" price of gas, I don't like to pay more than I have to for anything and neither does anyone else, but it costs what it costs and it'll continue to go up.

Reply to
James Sweet

Indeed, there was a whole episode of Penn & Teller Bullshit on that topic, quite funny actually. They had a taste test of a whole variety of absurd (and expensive) bottled water, all filled from a garden hose in New York, every one of them people claimed had a unique flavor and were better than tap water, hilarious.

Reply to
James Sweet

Was that the first series or the second?

-- Jon

Reply to
jOn

Peckham Spring?

Reply to
Martin

LOL - That was a classic episode :)

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Don't think that Dasani is the only one. Look at the labels of the others. Nothing is hidden. It is right there on the label. Tests have shown that in general New York City water is better than most all bottled waters in actual taste tests and in analysis, so spring water is not what it is cracked up to be. I will admit, that people in the UK my be better off in some areas with spring water.

Reply to
Stephen Henning

We've got good old well water :-)

Every couple of years it gets tested and we get told there are too many nasties in it (faecal cauliforms - to do with the sheep nearby I suspect), but we don't care - it tastes lovely, and nobody seems to be suffering.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from Stephen Henning contains these words:

Depends on the springs. Where I grew up the water came straight out of the Noth Downs chalk. Till I was about five there wasn't any treatment, either - it just went straight into the pipes. Smashing stuff, but furred the kettle up in a few days. So hard babies cut their teeth on it.

Reply to
Guy King

First. I have an MPG of it, if you have an FTP site I'd be happy to upload it for you but it's combined with another episode and pushing on 200mb.

Reply to
James Sweet