How much is this volvo worth?

Ok, how much would you say this Volvo S70 T5 Ex-police is worth? Bearing in mind at auction I saw a black R reg 2.4T CD (not a T5) model with full recorded history and 79k on the clock go for 1600 pounds.

Is it a decent buy if your after a white T5? Is the high miles likely to be a problem? Is it true that cars like this as they get near to

200k miles on the clock are worth practicly nothing?
Reply to
Alan M

At least a grand less than he's asking.

'no sign of holes in the bodywork' - that'll be because it's had a skim of filler over the holes and a cheap blowover to hid the fact that it's a leggy old dog.

Ex-plod cars are rarely worth it unless they're seriously cheap.

Reply to
SteveH

Having seen one of his other purchases, i'd watch for stains on the seat covers...

(sold by drfox1 - link below)
As this guy is CLEARLY a trader, I wonder what he needs to tell the tax man about his ebay sales ?!?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

*AVOID* as the history doesn't seem to exist. The seller doesn't know whether it was or wasn't used by the police - so why make such a claim. An ex-police car is not the thing to buy as they are thrashed all day, especially the turbo models. If it was an ex-police car it would be obvious by holes in the roof and dashboard. A recent respray suggests crash damage or repairs to the bodywork that were extensive. I would check with the previous owner to make sure it wasn't an insurance right-off and later bought as scrap and resprayed to look good. At 158,000miles I hope you have a lot of money to get everything put right - it will be knackered unless you can see a full and complete volvo service history. They are also expensive to run and insure. That car is worth between £350 and £500 depending where you go, certainly trade value. Whatever more foolish people are prepared to pay is a bonus.

The best thing to do with that is walk away and look for one that doesn't have such a vague description or history. You could always drop in to the local Volvo dealer and ask when "your car" needs a service next and give them the registration number. You might get a bit of a shock.

Reply to
ray

"Colin Wilson" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

He calculates VAT at the end of the sale and the description should state this, otherwise how much will he know to pay. Go and report him if you're that bothered, together with all the others you seem to have a problem with. Get a life. Maybe your new year resolution should be to stop moaning in newsgroups! You're clearly bored.

Reply to
ray

& confused, it's a second hand car & hence doesn't have any vat chargeab= le.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

I didn't mention VAT - you did...

Hey, its pissing down with rain outside, and I was hoping to take the dogs for a walk when it stopped - in the meantime, i'm hanging around on newsgroups - like you.

Fair point, but other than the pictures I didn't see anything in the description to indicate that it was a purchase from a dealer - which might have implications as far as being road worthy, of merchantable quality etc.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

If you had owned the car yourself from an earlier age and kept up with preventitive maintanance, and not ragged the nuts off it all the time, then at 160k it would be ok. As the car in question is a un-known, i would be VERY caucious.

No, not really. They are fundementally reliable cars, even the T5's and can be run on almost mondeo money[1] as long as you keep up with regular preventitive maintanance with a local garage who aren't bodgers, and are prepared to do alittle yourself.

[1] You will need to replace front tyres fairly frequently, and refuel more often it if you drive the car at 60% and above.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Ex police T5s are normally ok - odd spec though - cloth and manual normally.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You're not a volvo person are you? They're remarkably cheap to insure for a

250bhp estate car.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Depends on what you mean by 'OK' - they're a money pit waiting to happen.

I'd certainly start with knocking off the cost of a replacement turbo if I were looking at one.

Reply to
SteveH

They are never economical though.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I wouldn't be buying an ex plod one for any reason other than seeing it as a cheap pre-mounted block and head awaiting serious ICE, big turbo, some uprated internals, nitrous and 500 bhp.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If it makes any difference, the pictures show it as a saloon. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

They're remarkably cheap to insure for a 250bhp saloon car

Reply to
Tim S Kemp