how powerful are electric power washers

anyone every hear of anyone injured by a home powerwasher (under

1500psi electric types)

i read the safety warnings in the manual before starting to wash my car but i noticed i couldnt even cut through a soggy cardboard box with mine.

beerismygas

Mine took chunks out of my tarmac driveway and took the surface off my parents concrete drive :)

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Reply to
beerismygas

Something's wrong there...

I've used a fairly bog-standard electric Bosch 1500w (I think!, lent it out so can't check), and with a fine nozzle I'd certainly keep it away from limbs / car etc. In fact, whilst I was sinking the legs for a decked area in the garden I did experiment briefly with using it to dig the holes for the legs (a few seconds worth of splash-back over me and most of the house persuaded me that a spade would be better).

Reply to
Mike Dodd

I've cut my finger with one. I didn't believe the warnings either ;-)

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

As per the question it was a suprisingly small electric one

Reply to
Tim Anderson

I believed the warnings but I picked at a recalcitrant bit of much with a fingernail while spraying the car and moved the spray back too quick.

It hurts. It REALLY hurts.

Reply to
PC Paul

I played with an industrial one once and was told never to point it at anyone else or tarmac (it lifts it up). Mind you, that was several thousand psi, not one of the weedy home ones.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Harrier jets do that too. I watched one being trucked away from a disused airfield after we had one in for some trials.

Showoff pilot had been told to do a long takeoff roll but went straight up. About 6 feet, until the lumps of tarmac patching he'd blown off the old and very manky runway got sucked into the air intakes and killed the engine.

Reply to
PC Paul

I was trying to hold the lance and move something under the car right next to where I was spraying, and the edge of the spray nicely stripped a bit of the skin from my hand without much effort. On the bright side, at least the wound was nice and clean so low risk of infection ;)

Yep, this one seemed to pull out any loose bits of tarmac as well as flesh... But apparently it couldn't shift the cowshit off the underneath of the car...

Reply to
Stuffed

Come to think of it, I only tried mine on the car once as it was useless.... Did a cracking job of the decking though :)

Reply to
Tim Anderson

I pondered on getting my new "1200W pressure washer 100 bar" from focus at 29.99, using it to inject marinade into chicken. (post mortem :) )

I found that it's really good for cutting 2" expanded polystyrene, with nearly no mess. It also makes removing cobwebs very easy.

A tiny cheap pressure washer also has one other advantage. The flip-side of low flow, is of course low water use, meaning it can be used with very long hoses, without problems, and you end up with less water on the ground.

(today I used it with a 40m hose, on a gravity fed hot water cylinder, with only 1.5m drop)

Reply to
Ian Stirling