How to top-up coolant

What is the right way to top-up coolant in the cooling system without expansion tank?

I always warm up the engine to the operating temperature, shut it off, and then fill the radiator until it starts to drip trough the hose at the side of the radiator - #3 here:

I have read somewhere on the Net that you should leave the radiator cap off, get the engine hot, then keep topping it up as the engine cools.

Am I doing this wrong?

Reply to
Yvan

If there is no expansion bottle then the regular way is to fill the radiator cold till it is about 5 or 6 mm below the filler, this leaves an expansion gap in the radiator (if you were to recheck when hot you will find the level is much closer to the filler hole) If you fill to the top when cold the system will force out any excess coolant, rechecking when cold after this should reveal the exactly correct level for your system.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

The result is the same as the way I am doing it. I gues my way is OK :-)

Reply to
Yvan

You've put too much in. There should be about an inch between the top of the radiator and the water. They're not supposed to be brim full.

Have you been topping it up because it keeps dropping to about an inch below full?

Reply to
Conor

Nedavno Conor napisa:

OK.

No, I rerouted heating for LPG evaporator, and lost some coolant in the process.

Reply to
Yvan