5 year old diesel

I've 2 gallons of diesel in a proper plastic container that I bought before a holiday 5 years or so ago. Never used it and I'd like to get rid of it. Any reason why I shouldn't use it in the car? Does diesel go 'off' in any way over time. I'd fill in via a funnel with a strainer in it.

Just seems the easier way to dispose of it. And before anyone suggests it, I don't have any sheds or fences that need weatherproofing!

JC

Reply to
Bald eagle

it has been in a closed container and it will be fine, just pour it in.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Yup, it tends to absorb a little water, but that's what your fuel filter's for.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Oh yes, but only if that _closed_ container has been sat on concrete, like the rubber car battery!

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Only if he put the lid on:-) Assumption is the mother of something or other :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

... A Pistons Um.....?

I've got too much time :-(

tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

Burn it off?

Reply to
Abo

Two gallons????? I live near Buncefield - people get panicky about lots of black smoke round here!

JC

Reply to
Bald eagle

I don't think it'll make as much smoke as Buncefield...

Reply to
PCPaul

It doesn't go off anything like petrol does, but it can contain bacteria and other nasties - depending on how it's been kept. Also if you bought it before a summer holiday, it may be summer grade, so should we experience a cold snap, it'll wax in the tank...

If it were mine, I'd put some into the car when the tank was about half full. Maybe half a gallon. Repeat over the next three tanks of the stuff. Chances are you'll not notice anything untoward...

Reply to
DervMan

That's what I was thinking - dilute it down pretty well with fresh stuff.

JC

Reply to
Bald eagle

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Bald eagle" saying something like:

Diesel can go off with fungal/algal growth, but it's unlikely if the can has been stored in cool conditions. You'd probably be at more risk of contaminating your fuel tank through buying fuel from small petrol stations.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

IIRC it can, but it needs moisture too. The growth is at the oil/water interface - that's certainly the case with Jet fuel in plane wings.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Just keep it for degreasing in your parts washer or WHY. I use 28 second kerosene in my Machine Mart special but Diesel will do the job too.

Julian

Reply to
Julian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Julian" saying something like:

Yep. You can buy fuel biocide for longer term storage but I've never had to use it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I was going to suggest putting some in then going to fill the tank, but the potential issue with this is that you'll be running on a strong mix of old diesel during the drive to the filling station...

Reply to
DervMan