Hub nuts

When the HBOL says that front hub nuts (in this case a Micra's hub nuts) are really tight, are they talking an 8' scaffold pole slid over a 1/2" ratchet, or just tight enough so that a big strong Mungo could undo them with just the ratchet and his mighty biceps?

I must do these CV joints soon as I'm running out of excuses now.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

================================== It's better to use a sliding T-bar or a breaker bar rather than a ratchet which could easily be damaged. The Haynes book should give you a torque figure but I doubt if an 8' pole is needed. A 2' bar should be enough with somebody in the car on the brakes to stop the wheels turning.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, no but I haven't got a breaker bar, only a big ol' ratchet.

AHA! Another excuse not to do the CV joints!

Ta.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Wrong attitude : it's an excuse to get a breaker bar :-)

FWIW I've bust a cheap breaker bar on a hub nut. Shifted it with a borrowed

3/4" socket/bar in the end. I probably still needed a scaffold pole to give me a long enough lever though.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I've just found some splendid ones on ebay! Not Chinese either.

Actually my big ratchet's a 3/4", not 1/2" (or 3/8", whatever it is), so it's quite chunky anyway. Still... a nice new shiny bar does appeal...

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

3/4" ratchet will probably be fine - I'm guessing most assumed you just had 1/2".

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

================================== It would still be worth getting a decent breaker bar or a strong T-bar. Even the strongest of ratchets can be damaged by excessive torques.