Hubnuts and odd noises

Horrible 1995 Favorit estate. Yes, the one that never goes wrong (!)

Question 1: Would a garage necessarily have to remove the driveshaft nut to replace the outer (long) driveshaft boot or is there a magic way of changing boots that mere mortals don't know about? It's not a lick and stick boot.

Question 2: If said nut was never replaced what would be the possible quinciequonces?

I've been noticing a lot of clonking (clanking too) and now there is a loud, low-pitched, drone when driving over 25mph, getting louder on the over-run. I had a good investigate and wobbled each wheel in turn, looking for a knackered wheel bearing, and noticed a distinct lack of hub nut on the osf wheel. These things are f*ck-me tight so it hasn't just fallen off.

Obviously the driveshaft now moves in and out of the hub all on its own without the nut on it but on a scale of 1-10 how dangerous is it to drive to the garage?

I should know this but front suspension is a bit of a mystery to me - I can't quite get my head round how it makes the wheel go round, up and down, side to side, and brake, and the car stay up in the air, without everything collapsing. :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

the only thing holding that wheel on is the brake disc/caliper. do not drive it like this. it will need a new wheel bearing and nut at a minimum.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

id be very surprised they left the nut off and gave it back to you, but then anythings possible ! the nut would have to be removed & replaced depending on what type of nut you have, if its the type you have to stake over to lock it then it should have been replaced, they should also be re-torqued & not just wanged up with a windy gun.

Reply to
reg

You're not the only one, but they changed the boot in February and then again last month because the one they put on split. I wonder if it split because they left the hub nut off the first time? If so it can't be that dangerous driving without one! :)

It is...was...the stake over type.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Well the inner CV joint may not be as happy as it once was & the wheel bearing may not be as happy as it once was. Or they may be fine. However the only thing holding the hub on is some friction & the brake disc so they're probably knackered. Get the garage to come & get it, just tell them they need a new nut & photograph it before they take it away.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They asked me to bring it to them; they're not far away, and they put a new nut on it. The 'orrible noise (well, *that* nasty noise - it *is* a Skoda) and vibration have completely gone and it seems not to have suffered any lasting damage.

Bloody thing won't die.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

No not dangerous at all. Given it's the only thing that clamps the drive flange to the car, I wouldn't be at all concerned at it falling off, and the assembly then knocking and rattling around.

Oh no, no at all.

Reply to
Stuffed

Well it's probably worth checking the pad depth :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well, for a given value of dangerous, of course. I wasn't particularly gentle with the car before I knew the nut was missing and nothing disastrous happened and nothing fell off. Unfortunately :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I'll do that. I'm just going out there now to check the other hub nut!

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

1) Hopefully they would. 2) hub assemply part company from the strut.
Reply to
Conor

They did.

It sounded like it was getting there. Think Spitfire, nose down, full chuff.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Had a Metro where the hub nut came off - Not long after so did the wheel and hub! Didn't fully come off as the caliper got in the way, but I lost all drive and the corner dipped down quite a way! Happened at low speed, so wasn't dangerous, but it *could* have gone when I was doing 80 odd as I did twice a day. That would've been interesting...

Reply to
Stuffed