Hyundai Accent 1.3 Overheating, need help diagnosing fault

I have a Hyundai Accent 1998, It has recently started overheating, mainly in traffic. I have loken for a manual for this particular engine but to no avail. I have realised the fault is with the fan not kicking in. Where is the sensor situated that controls the fan? I am going to run a multimeter from leads going to fan motor tomorrow to check it when engine heats up. If this shows a voltage what would be my next step. Any help appeciated as I am just a beginner in car maintenance. Tia

Reply to
Sarah

By the way fuses have been check and are ok.

Reply to
Sarah

Most likely to be the thermostatic switch in the radiator, about 30mm across with two wires going to it, near the bottom of the radiator.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

A high proportion of cars have the fan switch in the engine side of the radiator, usually low down, they may be screwed into the radiator or held in by a bayonet clip, there will be an electrical connector clipped on to the switch, usually this has two wires, pull the connector off and (with the ignition switched on) bridge the two connectors with an opened up paper clip or a set of tweezers (all metal ones) Take care as the fan should spin. If it runs then the fan switch is probably faulty. If it doesn't then you need to check whether the fan can run by directly connecting it to the battery.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm stumped now, I have checked, voltage from lead to fan 0v, next tried voltage from - on battery to fan 12v. I have not to my knowlege got a fan switch, I have a temp sensor and sender going into the themostat housing in the engine block.

Reply to
Shamen

Sorry using my email account, my gf before.

Reply to
Shamen

A smaller number of vehicles do not have a dedicated fan switch at all ! The fan switch-on is determined by the engine management system, which gets its info from the coolant temperature sensor. A few vehicles have the fan switch located on the engine.

I do not work on Hyundai vehicles (through choice) which is why I have had to answer in general terms.

In your situation you really need to consult a dealer to establish if and where it has a switch.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There is a relay, swapped that around so eliminated that.

Reply to
Sarah