Life of a Shogun?

I have a P reg Shogun with 3.0 L petrol engine with 130,000 miles on the clock.

It is running well. (The only 'problem' is that it uses maybe 1 litre of oil every 2-3000 miles - unchanged since I got it with 84K on the clock)

How much life is there still to go - on average?

Reply to
Les Desser

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Les Desser, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Serviced properly it'll probably do 2-250k miles with nothing too serious.

It'll probably last until the body rots off it.

Reply to
Pete M

In article , Pete M Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:19:28 writes

Thank you for that - just what I wanted to hear. I'm thinking of passing it on to my son but did not want it to be a liability.

Reply to
Les Desser

How old is the Shogun in question? I`ve driven a couple of 55 plate Shoguns with over 200k on the clock that are still running very happily, but they have been serviced as suggested by the manufacturer :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

For christ sake give the poor bugger an oil change. 46K !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Graham Harvest

Graham Harvest ( snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ummm, I think he meant the *consumption* is unchanged over that interval...

Anyway - even if the oil was unchanged, it'd have got through 20+ litres in that time, so there wouldn't be much of the original fill left. OK, so the filter'd be about to collapse, but...

Reply to
Adrian

In article , Simon Finnigan Mon, 20 Aug 2007 09:46:18 writes

P reg - I thin 1997

That's about 300 miles a day *every day* for two years! What were they used for?

Reply to
Les Desser

'Do you like dags?'

Reply to
SteveH

Just noticed in another post it`s a petrol engine - your original post didn`t appear here.

Anything and everything :-) They are regularly booted from a standing start to 50-60mph as well, but not driven particularly fast - topping out at

70mph. They have automatic boxes as well, and I`ve not seen a single one have any issues. They`ve certainly changed my mind about the possibility of getting an automatic car next time I change.
Reply to
Simon Finnigan

If he liked "Dags" he'd have got his company to buy him a new Passat :-p

Reply to
Pete M

In article , Simon Finnigan Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:08:34 writes

I'm thinking along the lines of replacing the vehicle with a 3-4 year old diesel version. I assume that should last even better?

Reply to
Les Desser

One of us is going to claim a whoosh here.

Don't know if it's me or you, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, I thought you were associating Shoguns with Pikeys.

I thought I'd associate Passats with Dags, just for a giggle, but it's ruined now with the "Whoosh".

Especially as Tommy and Turkish turned up in a Range Rover....

Reply to
Pete M

I was.

That's the bit I don't get.

Loads of pikeys have Shoguns. Usually Pajeros, actually, but it's the same thing.

Ahh, but they were the anti-pikeys.

Reply to
SteveH

Woo-hoo!.

I'm happy now.

Reply to
Pete M

Got to be honest, I`ve not seen them after about 250k miles, as they get replaced, but I`ve not seen any huge differences in reliability between the shogun, disco and land cruiser. They`ve all had niggles, but a lot of it seems to be down to the individual car, rather than the particular model. But as I say, I`ve only seen them at very high mileage, not for a long period of time. I`d certainly consider a diesel shogun myself though, if I needed a 4x4.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

A *good* slushbox will have a very long life. Trouble is knowing which ones are good - and it doesn't just go by maker.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) ( snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Indeed. It seems to be all about the detail design of the installation - some installations get the cooling and/or service intervals badly wrong, resulting in predictably short lives. Even those can often be prolonged by ignoring the fluid change intervals and changing more regularly - every engine oil change, p'raps.

Reply to
Adrian

Cooling certainly is important. I'm not convinced that regular fluid changes would help - the fluid shouldn't get contaminated. Once that starts the box is failing. The other thing is you can't easily change all the fluid as the torque convertor can't be drained and holds something like half the total. If you have an external cooler you can sort of flush through all the fluid by bleeding it out with the engine running while introducing new - but that's a pretty expensive method. On 'lifetime fill' boxes probably worth doing at about 80,000 miles.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fresh fluid is important in my experience- the anti wear and friction reducers etc etc of the fluid break down with time, and especially heat.

I deal with many comercial and agricultural TC 'boxes, and those that have been run hot (typically silage pit work etc) and where cooling is marginal always die first. Anything over prolonged 80deg C work kills them. In many cases the brake bands are glued and much hotter than this and they start to un-glue themselves!

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..