Hyundai gearbox

Hi, I have an automatic Hyundai and the gearbox has the following:- P R D 2 L. Could someone please tell me what the 2 and the L are for. Thankyou

Jon

Reply to
jayseeblue

jayseeblue gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

D (Drive) uses all the forward gears.

2 just uses 1st and 2nd. Use it for going down steep hills, where you want the over-run engine braking. L (Low) keeps it in 1st. Use it for going down VERY steep hills. 2 could also be used for driving enthusiastically on twisty roads, but it's an automatic Hyundai.
Reply to
Adrian

2 restricts the gearbox to the first two gears, L restricts it to first. Try either from a standstill to find out how they feel. normal driving will probably never require them. if you live in a very hilly area, tow or get stuck in heavy traffic they can be useful. You really must try them to know the effect.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Also, be careful if you've had a previous lifetime of driving manual.

The thinking time you've had while balancing the manual clutch (no matter how short) just isn't there when you drive some automatics. Coupled with creep and fast acceleration this may mean you reach stationary objects a bit quicker then you actually anticipated. Especially those behind you when reversing.

Adrian C

RTFM?

Worked for me.

Steven

Reply to
Steven Thompson

On some types of auto using 2 will cause it to pull away and stay in second gear, which is nice and gentle, especially useful in very slippery conditions.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember jayseeblue saying something like:

'2' activates the drink-driving sensor and the car steers you to the nearest police station where you must turn yourself in.

'L' is the Light drive. Do not, under any circumstances, use it when in an urban area as the backwash from the photon blast will obliterate houses and schools.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Is this a serious post?

Firstly, read the manual.

Secondly, use your intelligence. Try it and you will notice the gears not changing very high.

Thirdly, it sounds as if you have never driven an auto before. Read the other posts and talk to other automatic drivers before you do the car or yourself some damage

Alan

Reply to
Alan