I C E

Following the disaster in London . . .

East Anglian Ambulance Service have launched a national "In case of Emergency ( ICE ) " campaign with the support of Falklands war hero Simon Weston.

The idea is that you store the word " I C E " in your mobile phone address book, and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted "In Case of Emergency".

In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it. Please do.

Please will you also email this to everybody in your address book, it won't take too many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

Reply to
dave F

And this is relevant to car maintenance because........?

Reply to
SimonJ

Normally means In Car entertainment.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , dave F writes

-good idea in principle, BUT...-don't most people use a password to lock their phones?

Reply to
Chris Holford

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dave F" saying something like:

"Off Licence"

"Kebab Shop"

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

if you have an accident during maintaining your car.

Reply to
dave F

The message from Chris Holford contains these words:

I don't - nor do many people I know. Phone stays in pocket or bag.

Reply to
Guy King

OK, point taken. I'll forward on loads of those "you're crush will love you if you send this 4000 times" messages to here, y'know, incase a hot broad wanders by 'during maintaining' my car :-)

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

OK, point taken. I'll forward on loads of those "your crush will fall madly in love with you and f*ck ya brains out if you send this 4000 times" messages to here, y'know, incase a hot broad wanders by 'during maintaining' my car :-)

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

I don't know anyone who does. And I'm one of those who rarely uses one - despite having had one for 15 years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

everyone i know locks there fone, i would but i dont know how too.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote in message news:DaLAe.25535$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

yes, locks the *keypad*, usually a matter of typing menu * to unlock it again. It's not the same thing as passwording.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

i mean lokced with password, not the one to stop accidental key presses.

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales" wrote in message news:iQTAe.26723$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...

Don't know anybody who does that. Is phone crime a particular problem in your area?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

In message , Mark Hewitt writes

My wife password-protects hers; she once had a phone nicked, and abusive phone calls made to the numbers in the memory.

Reply to
Steve Walker

not more than usual

Reply to
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

Mark Hewitt wrote on Fri, 15 Jul

2005 13:38:50 +0100:

Assuming you don't turn your phone _off_ very often (rather than silent), it isn't much hastle. In the event that your phone is stolen, or (more likely) you lose it somewhere, it prevents anyone from using your credit/account. It does also stop people phoning you to say they found your phone (or in the context of this thread, the body attached to the phone).

Reply to
David Taylor

The message from "David Taylor" contains these words:

I've set mine so that the power-up message contains my landline number and a request to phone it.

Reply to
Guy King

Guy King wrote on Sat, 16 Jul 2005 09:11:22 +0100:

Hmm, good idea, but my phone only displays the "welcome message" once the pin has been entered. Kinda pointless really.

Reply to
David Taylor