I'm going senile. Car ID please

Had a Triumph badge on the back.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Somewhere under there is an earlyish GT6, straight-six powered Spitfire coupe.

Reply to
Adrian

+1
Reply to
newshound

Cheers. It looked Spitfireish but not quite right. Long time since I've seen a GT6.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Agreed on both counts.

Yesterday, Antiques Road Trip had a soft-top GT6, which I didn't think existed. Did somebody just unbolt the roof?

Reply to
Davey

No, they put a straight six into a Spitfire...

Reply to
Adrian

Something that I had always thought a logical move, and really the basic idea of the closed GT6 in essence, but I didn't know that they had actually done it. Were many produced, do you know?

I had a Spitfire engine and O/D gearbox in my Herald 13/60, but that wasn't quite the same!

Reply to
Davey

Pretty sure the Spitfire is only a four cylinder soft top.

And the GT6 the 6 cylinder fastback - although sharing some bits with the Spitfire.

So rather like Herald and Vitesse.

The one in the pic has been jazzed up - perhaps to look like a competition version. Might actually be one, of course, or just an attempt to look like one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yep. I think the GT6 was planned to be just a Spitfire coupe, but when they test-drove the prototypes, they found the extra weight made it too slow.

By Triumph? None. Since then? Probably quite a few...

Reply to
Adrian

And some tasteless transfers which ruins the appearance. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Well it is taking part in the modern Monte Carlo rally so I guess it's excused a few transfers. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

This sort of thing...

(1).jpg

Reply to
Adrian

Yep, that's what I read on the Wikipedia page, and it makes sense. And there I was briefly thinking that there were some real GT6 soft-tops around, made by Triumph.

Reply to
Davey

But it wouldn't be a GT with a soft top?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Rally was more exciting when the Mini was winning it. :-)

Reply to
Gordon H

My dad entered in a MK2 Consul in the late 50s or very early 60s

Reply to
Mrcheerful

What's in a name? Besides, that's what the TV programme called it. It should really be a Spitfire 6, though. Whatever, Triumph didn't make it, which is a shame.

Reply to
Davey

Quite a lot. GT stands for Gran Turismo which is a particular body style.

You believe everything you see on TV? ;-)

Yes.

Might have embarrassed the TR performance wise due to being lighter?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True. It would have been the closest to describing it, though.

Hmmm. Interesting thought. Maybe we need to find one of the existing ones and find out.

Reply to
Davey

Great. I remember reading a book by Sidney Allard about the Monte Carlo

Reply to
Gordon H