Ign Timing problem

Just a wild guess by the sound of it. I'm not that au fait with the 3SGTE engine. Mine in a GT4 Turbo, never seems to go wrong, but AFAIK the idle and timing, once it is set, is controlled by the ECU. Presumably the ECU doesn't give any error codes, and I assume you mean you've checked the AFM, rather than the MAF you mention. Or has it been modified?. What model car is it? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Hasn't got any of that. It's all electronic. Once the base timing is set, the ECU does the rest. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

My mistake. The idle is controlled by the ISC motor. To check it's operation. With engine running and at full temperature, remove the ISC plug. The revs should rise to 1000 rpm or more. Reconnect and it should return to

700-800 rpm. To check it electrically, measure the resistance between +B, and ISC1, and +B and ISC 2. Both readings should be 16 ohms. If not it will have to be replaced. Mike.
Reply to
Mike G

You'll get intermittent sparking or no spark at worst.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks for the suggestions. Yep I meant AFM ;)

It has no engine mods and only slight control mods - turbo timer, after market boost controller and blow off valve, and a fuel cut defender. None of which are supposed to affect low/normal speed running. It's an MR2 SW20 with an early-ish 3SGTE engine - the one that still has TVIS.

I should point out that this isn't my car ;) I'm trying to help a mate get it sorted.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Yep checked and working as spec. (It will idle with the misfire) We've been through *every* single test in the factory manual - except for the leakage and spray pattern test on the injectors which needs special tools we don't have access to. After we check the valve clearances and cam/pulley timing yet *again*, it's having the injectors checked next.

Lee

Reply to
Lee