Impending clutch failure?

Not every elderly driver is terrible on clutches, but some are, and get worse with age.

One of my (now deceased) customers had a fear of getting stuck in the Dartford tunnel at rush hour, (when it became stop-start while underground) so he slipped the clutch like mad to avoid stalling, every year a new clutch. he was only 50 odd, he died at 56, quite soon after his wife died.

I really didn't like the hc, the ha or the hb were far better and very much lighter. I raced an HB with quite reasonable success in a semi contact formula in 1984.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I had an 'HA' van - it was made long after the HA car body style. Great little van with the best gearchange I've ever had. Like throwing a well oiled light switch. ;-)

Sadly, the tim worm got it in the end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which says a lot about what "re-con" tends (not to) involve.

Reply to
Adrian

Interestingly, a few years later, she had an HB Viva, and the gearbox began to leak from the rear oil seal. So this time I bought a re-con box (from A1 Gearboxes). This arrived in very clean condition, and with small bits of broken strain gauges araldited all over it - so I guess it had been used in some sort of test rig.

Anyway, it lasted until the car had to be thrown away because there was no longer any metal holding the rust together.

I see A1 Gearboxes are still trading (now in St Neots). I must have taken the old gearbox to exchange, but I've no idea where I went. At the time I was living in Milton Keynes ...

Reply to
Graham J

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Yes!, weren't they just, had to drive one many years ago and as you say like a very precise switch:)...

Didn't it always;(...

Reply to
tony sayer

The Audisaurus here is just coming up to its 20th birthday and is still on its original clutch but there is a bit of bearing whine when said clutch is depressed. Knowing how very fond I am of the grand old lady will prolly get it done when the time comes but it wont be at the usual Audi ripoffhausen there is a very good two man garage locally who are honest and well priced....

Reply to
tony sayer

There's no such word as 'impending'. Something is either imminent or pending but not 'impending'.

Reply to
The Revd
[...]

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

pastedavid

And in the case of some of those Vauxhalls earlier in the thread, clutch failure could be immanent too.

Reply to
Eiron

:-)

I used to watch them racing against Minis at Aintree. They gobbled the minis up on the straights, then watched 'em overtake on the corners.

The 3.4 Jags always looked to me as though they had a narrow track at the rear, but I'm not sure whether it was the case or just a trick of perspective.

Reply to
Gordon H

It was a choice between an Escort Sport and the HC. My unmarried colleague at work got a Sport, but we had three kids by then. :-(

Reply to
Gordon H

Of course. We are all familiar with "impending disaster"...

Reply to
Gordon H

There was some warning... :-)

Reply to
Gordon H

The Mk1 had. With the MkII, it was either reduced or the same as the front.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And some can be driven on the rivets.

When I did an engine swap I had a choice of a 80K mile clutch that was on the 180K mile engine being fitted or the one off the old 150K mile engine. Measured the remaining thickness thru a gap at edge of cover on both and I left it alone. A few weeks later I stripped the clutch off the 150K engine to put it on a stand, it was on the rivets on one side.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I was referring to proper English not pidgin English in common usage. Writing 'impending' is like writing 'irregardless'. Know what I mean, m8?

HTH HAND BIOYA

Reply to
The Revd

I knew someone would know. :-)

Reply to
Gordon H

Mk1 - front 54.6" rear 50.1" which was very noticeable. Mk2 - front 55.2" rear 53.4" which was not.

Reply to
Dave Baker

LOLK! English as she is spoke.

Reply to