in car air-conditioning

has anyone suffered from persistent flu and cold symtoms which could be related to the bacteria accumalated in the air-conditioning connections apparently you should run the air conditioning on full heat 10mins once every week to dry up water thats lying inside the tank it collects in during the summer months i am interested to hear from any one who has experienced this as i seem to be persistently getting flu coughs and colds

Reply to
guzzler

We run a car with climate control, the air con is on pretty much all the time, all year round, We scarcely ever get colds/flu.

The moisture that is drawn out of the air drips from the bottom of the system onto the road so you should never get stagnant water left lying around.

You can buy a cleansing aerosol from any car shop that is designed to kill off bacteria on the evaporator unit (the cold bit) you leave the car running on recirc and open the can and leave it in the footwell for about ten minutes,

Modern evaporators have a coating that is antibacterial in any case.

Health wise, try what we have done in the past: if you feel you are coming down with something, take 1gram of vitamin C per hour till it goes away. overdosing vitamin C is not harmful, you can take it hourly till it causes diarrhoea, then drop down to 1g every two hours. this gives a startling reduction in length/severity of illness.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Not in a car, no.

Depending on how you use the car, it's possible - but more likely to be something else.

You see, if you drive the car enough such that a dose of gunk from the ventilation system is the cause of the problem, chances are you'll use the heater enough to dry it out.

If you don't use the car all that much, chances are that somewhere where you spend time as a damp problem - home, work, whatever.

Air conditioning in a building is a great way to spread disease since it recycles air, but you are mostly getting bugs from other people...

Reply to
DervMan

Yes - I've a 97 Primera and have suffered with these probs. despite the

10mins a/c and then 10mins a/c off but full heat, maybe because I only started doing this once the a/c stank?

Quite often when u switch the a/c on you can smell a stink or a tickle in the throat. Its something like the first days of flu excep it just gets better rather than worse - I seem to remember when a/c started becoming more popular in the Uk someone said that that in Spain its one of the biggest causes of some chest infection

I've tried something from Halfords - Its a spray which you leave in the car whilst the a/c is on and on recirculation - It appears to work for a while

Reply to
Lerkio

i,d like to thank everyone for their imput please keep it coming

Reply to
guzzler