Rover Rear Washer

The car is a Rover 214SEi 1995 N-reg (old shape).

Screen wash does not come out of the rear washer. Front washers OK.

Haynes says the "non return valve" may be blocked. I located this and removed the pipe past the valve. Got the missus to operate the washer and screen wash came out of it. So the valve is not the problem.

I am assuming then that the tube that goes into the body at the bulkhead and to the tailgate is split/kinked/disonnected somewhere. However Haynes does not say how the hose is routed through the body so I can't trace it. Any suggestions?

Also, if I manage to pull the hose out, is it easy enough to reroute?

In addition, whilst I was checking the washer jet at the back for blockages, I used a needle to remove any possible blockages and managed to snap the end of the needle off in the jet. So it looks like a new jet is required too.

All in all, one of those fiddly little annoying jobs.

Cheers Paul, West Yorks

Reply to
Paul

don't try to pull out the hose, afaik it runs above the head lining, pound to a penny it has broken at the flexi boot, pull that out and look, splice in extra pipe with pipe joiners or one way valves

Reply to
mrcheerful

With tailgate up, hose AFAIKR runs through RH flexi into tailgate. For some reason, when the pipe seperates, washer fluid can be found escaping down by the back of the rear inboard wheel onto the ground. The plastic used is really nasty stuff, goes brittle with age and fracures easily during the cold weather (it's a clear blue colour). Fixed with fish tank air hose and inline connectors, used a new section of air hose over the joint area as a sacrificial piece, poking the original pipe downwards into the bodyshell.

Also, check the internal elbow inside the combinaton washer/wiper unit. Dirt tends to collect on this corner and obstruct the washer line. In the end I ground the dirt out with the end of a coat hanger.

Rdgs

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Thanks to Paul and Mr Cheerful - will give your suggestions a bash.

Regards Paul, W.Yorks

Reply to
Paul

You will find, depending on how long the split has been there, that the will be rust around the inside of the tailgate assembly. For future note, if you need to get to the pumps themselves you will need to remove the front bumper assembly.

Rdgs

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Hi Paul My car is the old shape Rover. The washer reservoir is at the bulkhead - rear of engine bay to the left of the windscreeen. I know what you mean though - on later Rovers, the reservoir is front offside corner.

Cheers! Paul

Reply to
Paul