air conditioning in Prius

How well does the air conditioning work in the Prius ? I live near Houston, Texas where we typically run the A/C in the car for 8 to

9 months. From June through September the A/C will be set on MAX due to the 100 F average peak temperatures. The night time minimum is not usually lower than 80 F.

THanks, Lynn

Reply to
Lynn McGuire

I live in coastal Southern California so I don't regularly challenge the A/C, but I have done a little driving in the desert during the summer. The A/C kept the car comfortable at temperatures in the high 90's and low 100's. It is hard to tell how much impact the A/C had on fuel economy because these trips involved quite a bit in the way of climbs and descents. I generally leave the A/C in automatic even near home to dry the air and keep the windows from fogging up. I did run without the A/C for a period of time just to see if the MPG improved. I didn't really observe a significant difference in mileage, but then again, I had to periodically run the air conditioner to clear the windshield.

Kari

Reply to
kari

Another Californian -- but from the hotter Central Valley where it hits upwards of 110 in July/August.

No problemo here. Works quite well. Basically, the compressor is electrically driven much as the refrigerator in the house. You set it to where your comfort level is, maybe 76 degrees, and the fuzzy logic of the computer takes over to maintain a comfort level equivalent to 76 degrees. Mine is a white one since black cars here suck in the heat (although they look cool when clean and waxed well).

The engine may kick in once in a while to keep the electric to the compressor going, fwiw. You can sit in a parking lot for a long, long time and the thing keeps the interior quite cool.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

Mine works very well in Dallas. Using a Sunscreen in the windshield speeds the cooldown.

Reply to
richard schumacher

Very well. I live in the Phoenix area, and I usually leave it set to 75 degrees year round.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner