Injector cleaning products

Hi,

anyone know if fuel injector cleaning products are useful or necessary?

The main dealership my wife takes her car to puts it in the fuel tank at every service - I service my own car (and now probably hers as well), but have never bothered. Is there an issue that this kind of product solves, or are the dealership just doing the cleaning product manufacturer a favour?!

Reply to
Andy Larder

The type you add to the fuel? Useless. To clean an injector you need aggressive chemicals in a concentration that wouldn't fuel a car. They have to be removed and cleaned on a special machine which flows this through them.

They're not doing you any favours by wasting your money. It's an old trick though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

we use Forte products at work

kronenburgh

"Not all engine oil additives are as potentially harmful as some of those we have described here. However, the best that can be said of those that have not proved to be harmful is that they haven't been proved to offer any real benefits, either. In some cases, introducing an additive with a compatible package of components to your oil in the right proportion and at the right time can conceivably extend the life of your oil. However, in every case we have studied it proves out that it would actually have been cheaper to simply change the engine oil instead." -- under "Best of the Worst" 2/3 down this page:

Lin Chung

Injector cleaner gets added to the petrol...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So what's it supposed to do? & how does it tell th edifference between varnish & seal?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Oops.......Got a bit gaga here. :)

Reply to
Lin Chung

You could ask that question about any solvent/cleaner.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Andy Larder proclaimed to uk.rec.cars.maintenance ...

Just run a good fuel (shell v-power/optimax etc) instead of supermarket rubbish and you wont have to worry. Ive never used additives and recently stripped my engine - the injectors, valves etc were completely coke free and shiny. I only use optimax and v-power (or equivelent) these days. Now without providing an identical engine run on supermarket fuel and covered in black coke I know that means nothing, but its my experience and loosely based on seeing other people with the same car and engine!

Its cheaper to run opti all the time than it is to run normal and put additives through it every few tanks.

Reply to
Coyoteboy