Insurance Oddity

I had a minor shunt in January - my fault, ran into the back of someone who decided to change their mind about going for a gap, just as I looked right to join - ah well.

Anyway, point being my recently renewed insurance policy immediatly underwent an increase in premium from around =A3250 to =A3550

I was told at the time that this was due to an open claim, and in no way affected my protected bonus.

Today, I again queried what was happening, only to be told the claim stays open for 12 months, and the increase in premium was 'because they load a discount on when you join based on not having had any accidents, but that this is outside my no claims bonus'! Having lost this, the rise in premium is justified, and no they won't lower it

Promptly got a quote from another online company for =A3260, being fully open about the accident etc. Same values/excess etc.

Their loss

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

You get a discount for having NCD but a loading for having an accident. Someone going from 5 years to 3 years NCD because of an accident will generally pay more than someone going from 2 years to 3 years NCD.

Reply to
adder1969

You get a discount for having NCD but a loading for having an accident. Someone going from 5 years to 3 years NCD because of an accident will generally pay more than someone going from 2 years to 3 years NCD.

Wow! Neat.

Reply to
<me

His NCD is Protected, so the step down shouldn't apply.

One of our vehicles was involved in an accident with a non-roadwise deer that fancied crossing the road in front of us

£1k damage, NU up'd the renewal from £170 to £370, went on confused.com & NU quoted £130 with all the same details inc the accident

I phoned them to enquire the difference & they told us that all new customers a bigger discount to get the business.

Cancelled the old policy & took out the new one for £130 which also included

3rd party entitlement when the renewal had it removed
Reply to
A C