Place bets!

SOs 03 Polo refused to start this morning, engine cranks with occasional spluttering but it won't catch. Fuel pumps working, there's petrol at the injectors but I can't check the plugs as it looks like you need some kind of tool to get the caps off.

Had to upgrade my AA membership to include Homestart - bummer!

Place bets now on problem! AA on their way.

Reply to
mike. buckley

"mike. buckley" wrote in news:i+lNNZl$ snipped-for-privacy@toastyhamster.freeserve.co.uk:

occasional

AA bloke will turn it over and it will start perfectly. Sod's Law, innit? :-)

Reply to
Tunku

In message , Tunku writes

Nope he couldn't get it started either...... but at least now I know what the problem is.

Reply to
mike. buckley

cam belt

Reply to
MrCheerful

or diesel in it

Reply to
MrCheerful

In message , MrCheerful writes

Neither[1], turns out that 2 of the plug coils have gone pop at the same time. Of course there's a UK shortage, VW dealers quoting dates in mid-May before they can get any. Eurocarparts had a handful in one of their branches and they should be here on Monday.

Very odd for two to go (3 cylinder 1.2) I would think, although it seems a common problem generally.

[1] Even the SO wouldn't do that. I hope.
Reply to
mike. buckley

My wife's Polo 1.2 3 Cyl has had No 2 replaced, when another one went wrong (No 1 IIRC), she insisted that all 3 were replaced, which the VW garage seemed to do.

It's (aparrently) down to them overheating, because they're buried in the head, underneath a plastic shroud, which causes them to overheat something rotten.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Pete Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.plus.net:

That sounds a good design, not. How about placing litle PC fans in the shroud, or even better, ditching the shroud. This is aimed at the car manufacturer, not you. I'd prefer an ugly engine that worked rather than a pretty plastic covered one that didn't. It's all hidden by a bonnet after all.

Reply to
Tunku

mike. buckley ( snipped-for-privacy@toastyhamster.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What IS it with VAG and coil packs...?

Reply to
Adrian

Because the shroud actually contains the air filter and the PCV system.

The car shouldn't be run without it!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

The original manufacturer of these cut corners, and didn't make them to VAG specification. Initially, the problem was so acute that coils were being robbed from showroom stock for some customers. Once the scale of the problem became known, all should have been replaced, but the cost would have bankrupted them!

Currently, if a coil fails under warranty it gets replaced. If a second coil fails *and the customer complains*, the dealer should offer to replace all remaining original ones.

The real losers are those who do a low milage, and keep their car for more than three years...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's not just VAG the same manufacture made them for BMW/Merc/Saab and a few others.

Reply to
Depresion

Indeed, but it's my understanding that only the VAG ones suffer from such frequent failure.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Pete Smith wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@usenet.plus.net:

Really? I thought it was just a pretty cover. Don't much like the sound of it.

Reply to
Tunku

In message , mike. buckley writes

*s**te*

2 new coil packs have made no difference, AA on their way again. Place bets!

Reply to
mike. buckley

In message , mike. buckley writes

AA been and given up - towed it to VW garage...

Reply to
mike. buckley

In message , mike. buckley writes

Result! (ish)

Needs a new timing chain kit, no idea how it went after only 30k miles. Bad news, back order part and two week wait. Good news, it's an 03 reg Polo and they've covered parts and labour under the goodwill program, so completely free fix. Result, as the parts alone were 590 quid!

Reply to
mike. buckley

So my initial diagnosis of cam belt was right (if equivalent to chain is acceptable) Pretty good for remote viewing, I think.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful