Insurance: When is it considered a write off

My 17 year old lad has a 1997 Peugeot 106, 43k on the clock.

Last night he reversed, not realising the passenger door was closed, and the door was damaged on a low brick wall.

The door still closes, albeit now with a gap with the body that you can see daylight through.

We took it to two garages, both said the door needs replacing. Which I can believe. It's badly crumpled near the hinges. We've already received the quote from one of the garages, £1168.

Now, the car was purchased 6 weeks ago for 1350 (Private sale).

If my lad claims, he'll have to pay 400 quid compulsory excess, and of course he'll lose any chance of his premium dropping next year (a likely drop of

600-800 quid).

However, won't the insurance company consider a close on 1200 quid repair, on a 1350 quid (and the book price will be lower) car a write off ?

The car's perfectly OK still to drive about, and whether he claims or not, it's going to cost him 1200 quid either way to repair. I think I'm answering my own question here, but you've not spent the day with a distraught teenager :-)

Any advice or experience gratefully accepted !

Reply to
Mark Carver

Mark Carver ( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Eh?

Put the phone to the insurance down, and send your idiotic offsprog out to get a second hand door from a scrapper - A door from a Saxo will fit, too, I think - and a Haynes manual, and get him to swap it over himself.

He might learn something, and he'll certainly save a shitload.

Reply to
Adrian

Good job he didn't have the door open or the dmage would have been terrible!

I bet you have. Main dealers do cost that much.

That's why premiums go up for careless or dangerous drivers.

They wouldn't pay it as the repair doesn't cost that much.

Why? A scrapyard is not going to charge him £1200 for a door ! Some will even fit it for a small payment.

Well that might teach him a lesson. That's the last time he will be messing about with friends in his car.

Don't tell the insurer unless the owner of the wall is going to claim. Go to a scrapyard and get a new door. Either ask them nicely to fit it, or find an independant garage who will do it for you.

Reply to
Clark

Not enough nots

That quote wasn't from a main dealer, still waiting for that

I had a beer last night, and suddenly everything came into sharp focus. You and Adrian are quite right of course, in fact I'm going to do even less than you both suggest. Nothing. It's common, practical, and economic sense. He can learn his lesson by driving around a 'less than cool' blemished car, with rain dribbling in, at least it matches all his friends vehicles now.

Reply to
Mark Carver

"Not" spelt differently becomes "ton" - as in "the ton of bricks" that he appears to have run into and that insurance companies will drop on his premiums if he claims..

And risks a further "ton of bricks" because the police stop him on sight on too many boringly quiet nights and may find that he too has had a beer.. Plus, if he has another accident, the insurance company may easily create problems because this accident clearly happened earlier and wasn't reported to them. Full disclosure and all that..

Having invested 17 years in him already, a few more hours taking him by the nose to a scrappie and getting the door swapped (so no one, including his insurance company, will never know) may just end up to your advantage, when you are old and dribbling..

Reply to
Palindrome

I take your point, but how is a likely non matching (colour wise) door going to attract less attention ? As it stands, the only external sign of trouble is a dent behind the mirror. At first sight you don't even notice it. For the record the wall is totally undamaged, and the wall's owner (his mate's father) is not fused so no problem there.

As long as the car is roadworthy (MOT etc) do the insurance company care what condition it's in ?

Reply to
Mark Carver

Sorry, a few words paint a thousand pictures..I'd got the idea the damage was rather more obvious. As to the colour match, I thought there was a fair chance that you could get one to match a 97 106.

IIUC, the damage was done to a car and by a driver that they are providing cover for. Pretty hard to argue that couldn't affect a decision about whether to continue providing cover and on what basis that cover would be provided. It was clearly a "total fault" non-trivial accident caused purely by his carelessness. It certainly alters the value of the item at risk and what they would pay out in a future total loss claim.

IIUC, it isn't likely to stop them paying a future 3rd party claim - but could quite possibly cause them not to pay out on his own loss in that claim and could cause them to decline to insure him in the future. If that accident is down to him and involves a BIG third party payout, it could all get *very* "involved".

The safest option is to notify them in writing, even if not claiming and get acknowledgement in writing from them. Whether or not the door is repaired/changed. They quite possibly will file it and nothing else will result and the premium be unaffected. But, if you aren't going to do that, keeping the evidence of what you haven't told them does seem a little, "brave"..

Reply to
Palindrome

Don't claim, do tell the insurers, scrapyard door.

Reply to
Doki

That's a low mileage and, if the vehicle is OK, it is worth encouraging him to go the scrappie route. And if the colour is wrong you can buy a few cans of touch-up paint. Or even get a quote to have it sprayed. Before I traded my 504 in on a 505 I left it with a panel beater to have one of his apprentices give it a touch-up - didn't charge much - and I got a good deal on the 505.

(then, about three days before the 505 turned up, the 504, driven by my wife, was badly damaged in a collision about 300 miles away and it was not back on the road for about 6 months). When the dealer phoned to say: 'Your 505 is here!' I told him the bad news. But, as the repair was covered by insurance, he let the deal stand - so I was able to collect my family in a brand new vehicle and the smash hardly inconvenienced us. In the small town where the 504 was towed, the garage had a habit of collecting numerous damaged vehicles over Xmas, partially dismantling each, and then slotting in the work over the next six months. Nothing the dealer could do about it (except winge). And the repair mob did a first class job - in retrospect I wish I had kept the 504 for one of the kids.

Reply to
Ken

Metallic green

[snip]

Understood. I can see where you're coming from. Based on the cost of repair of this minor incident (and any claimable repair would have to be done by an 'expensive' outlet (?)) any future accident that would involve damage to a third party, is likely to be considered a write off ? So I guess by informing the insurance company of this accident now, they will only devalue the vehicle from their perceived current value, to that minus the repair cost, i.e. a couple of hundred quid. So that's all they'd pay out for any future 'write off' claim ?

I've already resigned myself to the fact, that assuming no more accidents, this car will end its life with me taking it to a scrapyard, my only concern is to keep within the law, and to make sure that liability to third parties involved in any future accidents is protected, so to be bomb proof I need to write to the insurers ? Will that affect his premium next year though, even though no claim is being made ?

Sorry if these seem naive questions, but I have no personal experience of making car insurance claims (yet!).

Reply to
Mark Carver

Sod that.

I've only ever had one accident - it was fairly big, but still not worth doing on my insurance. I didn't tell them as it wasn't something that they needed to know, IMHO.

I've also had theft damage incidents that I've not bothered to tell them about.

It happens all the time, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Reply to
SteveH

Assuming the next accident doesn't hide the existing damage - the value would be based on its previous damaged condition anyway. It isn't likely that the present damage will be attributed to the future accident, because of its nature. So, if you leave it unrepaired, that's going to be the state that it will be valued at, whether you tell them or not.

To be "bombproof" you have to tell the insurers of everything that affects their risk. However, lots of people don't - as Steve (IIRC) correctly pointed out. Obviously if there isn't an accident later, it isn't going to be a problem at all and most people don't have series of accidents in the same car. But, if you are going to hide things from insurance companies you do need to be reasonably certain that they aren't going to find out..

Me, in his circumstances, I would probably stick another (matching) door on it and not notify them. Even if (very unlikely unless left a different colour) it was noticed, it could easily have been done whilst owned by someone else..

What I wouldn't do is drive around with clearly visible unreported accident damage in the hope that the next accident will be in the same spot or that the loss adjuster won't tell the insurance company that there appears to be damage from a previous accident. If the insurance company did make a fuss about it, they would win...

Reply to
Palindrome

I had a lovely big accident. I informed my insurers, told them I wasn't going to claim, and guess what. They didn't give a f*ck, and neither did any insurer I've had quotes from since. What they give a f*ck about is claims.

Reply to
Doki

Write offs tend to occur at around 70% of the Glass' value of the car. That's because the insurer will try and palm you off with around 70% of the Glass' value. At worst, with this car (I'm assuming it's insured fully comp, or you wouldn't be worrying about claiming), they'd offer you cash in lieu of repair. I've not worked at an assessors for a couple of years now, but it's basically what they think the car's worth, and you can go and see if you can get it repaired - the car's not written off, not registered as written off, and still completely roadworthy even if unrepaired IIRC.

As others have said, get a matching door from a scrappy / ebay / wherever - look hard enough and you'll find one, and it'll be not much over a hundred quid even if you pay a garage to unbolt the old one and swap the door cards, rubbing strips and locks for you...

As for the value of the car, if you repair it with a matching scrappy door, it'll be worth the same. If you leave it as it is, it'll be worth a hundred or two less. As it stands, I'd not bother with fully comp being as it's a fairly low value car and any claim will be made back on your future premiums...

Reply to
Doki

Actually, the visible external damage looks more like vandalism, where someone might have kicked the panel in, than accident damage. The actual point of contact with the wall has only lost a small patch of paint, and has a tiny fold.

He's been talking with his mates about it, a couple of them are apprentices at local garages, or have older brothers that are, so the 'scrapyard' solution seems to forming without any help from me....

Reply to
Mark Carver
[snip]

Thanks, interesting. When we signed him up, options for 3rd party didn't seem to exist, and where they did the cost was only 30 quid lower than the Fully Comp price. I agree, I was 3rd party at his age, but today with that small difference it didn't seem worth the hassle.

Reply to
Mark Carver

Get the scrapyard door, get it fitted, then get someone to spray it if you have to - don't tell the insurance. They'll never know (you could have bought the car with the slight colour mismatch on the door which you will undoubtedly have after spraying), and would only use the fact that you informed them as ammunition against him some time in the future. They rip the arse out of us all the time; don't help them to do it!

Reply to
Brainfire

Weird. I've never bothered getting a quote for FC as far as I can remember, but I've always known that I'm very unlikely to claim - the first couple of years of NCB is very important to your premium IMO.

Reply to
Doki

Mark Carver ( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Oh, ffs... It's not as if they did 106s in a *shitload* of different colours...

But - as a straight answer - plentymuch less.

Reply to
Adrian

Oh please. The damage was there already or just appeared in the night didn't it?

Can the current door hinges be pulled out? It might not take too much to jsut make the door shut properly.

Reply to
adder1969