Accident insurance claim

Hi,

My wife just phoned me to advise someones' just rear-ended my car whilst she was on the way to work in it. The car is insured fully comp in my name and shes a named driver. She took the details off the other driver who was in actual fact an old dear who'd been hit herself and became the jam in a sandwich.

I'm either with Esure or Tesco ( can't remember ) and have full protected no-claims etc etc. , but what I'm paranoid about is will I end up loosing out on my insurance if I go through them...or would I be better off just getting a couple of quotes from the dealerships and dealing directly with the old dear ?

I've not been involved in an accident for a very very long time, but the last thing I want is for my next premuim to go up when I get the question " have you or anyone else covered been involved in an accident...." Maybe its pure paranoia, but I've always thought that when a claim is logged, the premium still goes up and although the no-claims percentage is not reduced....its applied to a bigger base premuim.

If theres any insurance ombudsmen in this NG, can you please advise / dispell my fears

Reply to
Ebodscki

< snip>

I'm with Tescos and had an accident a year ago last August, which is * still * in negotiation, though coming to a close I think.

I also have NCB protection and this year I paid exactly the same premium as before. Throughout my dealings with Tescos, I have found them very helpful and efficient and believe them to be fair.

I'm sure all I will eventually pay is 50% of my excess of £100 which of course depends on the agreed attribution of blame.

I E-mail address, hopefully self-explanatory Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

I can't help the OP but my wife had an accident a few years ago where a lorry decided to overtake whilst she was turning right. The blame was given

50/50 because she couldn't prove she was indicating and there were no witnesses. Because of her injuries the case dragged on for 4 years and at the end we didn't lose our NCB because we hadn't had an accident within the time period that the insurance company looked for when adjusting premiums (if you see what I mean).

With the original question I would have thought that you are not claiming off your insurance so it shouldn't affect your premium but who knows.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

Your premium almost certainly will increase slightly.

Someone ran into my car whilst parked (I wasn't in it at the time)

I have full no claims and the other party claimed full responsibility. The claim was settled in full by the other insurance co with no cost to myself.

HOWEVER, my premium has increased about £10-£20 above what I'd be paying if no accident had occured (I compared with/without accident on the internet)

I phoned up and queried, only to be told that I was now considered a greater risk, hence the higher premium!

Go to the esure (Or tesco) website and get two quotes...one without an accident and one with a "not at fault" accident and compare the two.

Obviously you *have* to mention the accident when getting a renewal but it's interesting to see how much you get penalised for a "not at fault" prang.

sPoNiX

Reply to
sPoNiX

Even so, your wife was "changing lanes" and is obligated to make sure it's safe to do so. Insurance companies in my opinion are often happy to close claims rather than spend the time/money to argue about who is at fault. Someone I know got rear ended and her insurance company then asked if she'd admit liability, then if she'd go 50-50 but in the end she had to prepare her own case and put it forward and eventually won.

Often the question is qualified by "...and did not reclaim your excess". If you reclaimed your excess then your insurance company got paid by the other driver's insurance company and so you are not at fault thus shouldn't be penalised for it.

Reply to
adder

I'm sure it depends on the insurance Co. I had a 'no blame' accident some years ago. Full comp, protected NCB, etc. My premium didn't go up. My insurance Co recovered all their and my costs from the third party, so neither they nor I were out of pocket. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Yep, it's shit, but that's the way the world works. It's surely possible though, to appoint a solicitor through your insurance, to claim back these extra costs through increased premiums over the next 5 years when you'll have to declare it to the insurance company.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

So my paranioa is founded in this instance...............

Its too late however because I called my insurers ( Tesco ) this morning. I'm glad I did though because initially the car didn't look too bad, but when I went to Renault with it this lunchtime they quite quickly pointed out that the floor had creased and the tailgate had been pushed in and twisted over. Theres are 10mm gap on one side and a 2mm gap on the other.

If it was a simple bumper job I'd consider handling the claim myself, but this is a big-buck 7+day job in the dealer with a curtesy car thrown in. Its best left for the insurance co's to sort all that out.

The next step is to get the wife to see a doctor for a checkup.....

Reply to
Ebodscki

I always like the courtesy cars "thrown in" as that is usually what the largest part of the claim is, and you will find that it'll be added to the insurance claim. So instead of it being £200-400, it'll be £800+.

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

I like your priorities, get the car to the garage first, and only then worry about getting the wife to a doctor!

Reply to
SimonJ

LOL....this is completely true :-)

She phoned me just after it happened on her mobile. I wanted full details of how it happend a what damage she could see , was it making any noises, did she get all the details off other drivers etc etc, ................then finally she says to me.....Oh...I'm okay be the way !

Reply to
Ebodscki