Insurance query - Car went throu my fence ??

A car went throu my fence whilst I was on holiday.

Police,ambulance and f engine were in atendance.

when I got back from holiday, I queried with police as to who the driver was. After a 2 weeks of 'data protection act' problems I got the drivers name and address.

Susequently I wrote him a letter requesting insurance details.

This day and age I dare not go round and have a face to face.

Needless to say I have had no reply.

What do I do now ?? Another letter or contact the police any ideas.

Reply to
chili-girl

Have you got 'legal assistance' on your household or car insurance? They'd be a good place to call...

Reply to
PCPaul

You'll be wanting a solicitor. uk.legal is just as opinionated as us:-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The driver should have minimum 3rd party cover so I'd just put it in the hands of a solicitor and let them do the work. By law they have to provide insurance details which I'm sure a sol letter will have better results in obtaining. Doesn't appear to be any argument as who is to blame so shouldn't cost you anything.

Reply to
Redwood

You could have got the details from the DVLA in a few days, or if you know how to do it - by return fax for free. Report the driver for criminal damage and the police will obtain the details for you. They know who his insurers are and could have told you - then give them a call to make sure he has reported the accident and that he was covered at the time. His insurance company are liable for the damage. Don't try it on with "oh the stress of it all" or any other sob story. It should be common sense, so I'll add you to the list of "helpless people".

Reply to
James R

correct, just don't go near a claims company or a "no win no fee finance agreement" company. A proper solicitor who is qualified will claim back costs from the other side, this is an open and shut case. Plenty of witnesses and it is NO concern of yours why the driver went through your wall, the only thing that matters is that he did. This was later found by emergency services who can verify that the driver was driving the car at the time and through his lack of control it went through your wall. Just sit back and wait for the cheque once legal action starts. Even if he wasn't insured, you will be paid out like thousands of victims of uninsured drivers each year. We all pay extra to cover the criminals the police seem to turn a blind eye to - which includes serving police officers caught for repeat offences of no insurance. Strangely they kept their jobs despite criminal records and repeated dishonesty. That happened in Liverpool quite often over the years, that force had a terrible reputation.

Reply to
James R

Do they? I thought by law they only had to provide a name and address.

Reply to
Graz

There'd be no point. Such companies won't touch a claim that has no personal injury component.

Reply to
Graz

the insurance company is not liable for anything the driver is , the insurance company just reimburse him for his losses and will pay out on his behalf

Reply to
steve robinson

Try writing to him asking "Will you be meeting the costs of repairs to my fence yourself, or would you prefer me to deal with your insurers?" Adding that if he wants the insurance to handle it, you'll need the details.

Or you could write to him saying that "I have had no response to my request for your insurance details, if I do not receive a response within X days, I shall claim the costs direct from you"

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

uk.legal.moderated

is a better bet - no spam.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

In message , James R writes

Surprisingly, they don't turn a blind eye to it around here, they often run roadside checks and have fleets of recovery vehicles to transport the confiscated vehicles away. Tax, insurance, MOT and driving licenses all checked.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

I get the distinct impression that the number of uninsured vehicles acyually being driven is slightly mythical. Plods drink drive in the moring managed

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , Duncan Wood writes

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Not much activity at the drivers house, not many footprints in the snow, BMW in the drive.

As there were 2 ambulances in attendance, could they be in hospital ?? I have tried the local newspapers for accident reports and also the fuzz's website, but cannot find anything.

Do I report it the police as criminal damage as the driver has not passed on insurance details. Then let them try and get me the insurance details.

Reply to
chili-girl