Insurance query

My wee Fiesta which was parked was hit by someone who spun on black ice. The insurers have said my car is not economical to repair and have offered me just under £800, which is fine although I wish they would offer a "buy back" but they don't ( it's NIG insurers). The car is OK to drive as it is only bodywork damage. I am still driving the car as I need it to look for other cars and I haven't yet accepted the offer( although I will) Am I still insured i.e if I have another wee accident of whatever, or should I park the car and leave it. It was such a great wee car and I'm desperately looking for something just as good.

Reply to
Big Craigie

Just a small tip, *never* accept the first offer, this will be lower than they are prepared to pay. You could push up to the third offer, but you won't get any better after that.

I would contact the insurers regarding driving the car, as it's technically a write off, you might not be insured to drive it anymore.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Reply to
Kirky

You might need to prove that the car is worth more though.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

I'm not querying the offer as I only paid £650 for the car, however it was (is) a wee gem, 64K on the clock, not a scratch, Fiesta Java with electric windows, 16 v zetec etc. Great wee car. I got a bargain. My query was just about being able to drive the car just now even though I have not accepted the offer. As I said, I am actively looking at other cars.

Cheers

Big Craigie

Reply to
Big Craigie

"Big Craigie" wrote in news:ctiv6j$jgi$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

If you are claiming off the third party I believe they are legally obliged to return the car to the state it was previous to the accident. Not sure if anyone has ever pursued this!

Will

Reply to
Will

In which case keep quiet, they'll normally only pay up to the market value, or the original purchase price if lower.

As I said, I'd check with the insurance company, and whatever they say get it in writing - I've been stitched up by insurers on a verbal agreement.

Each insurer has different policies, so asking here isn't going to help much.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Not at all, the contract will be to repair or replace. In the case of insurers, they will usually offer a reasonable sum to replace the vehicle if it is beyond economical repair.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

How do you know its only body damage?

Reply to
Conor

snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (Andy Hewitt) wrote in news:1gr7tjc.18k9xm2105q2rkN% snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net:

I don't think being hit by someone instantly makes a contract between both parties? I think you just sue the person (not the insurance company) to return your car to the condition it is in before you were hit. If they (and you) are lucky they are insured to cover this. It's probably up to the judge in a court to determine what is reasonable in each case I would think. A few thousand to repair a 100quid car is probably unreasonable!

Will

Reply to
Will

Had an engineer friend look over it and that was his assessment. Anyway, I contacted the inusrers and to answer my original post, I am insured third party only, so that is a load off my mind. Thanks to all who responded. Excellent newsgroup as always.

Big Craigie

Reply to
Big Craigie