Car heater fan resistor pack thermal fuse query

The thermal fuse in the resistor pack in my 1997 Fiat Ducato has blown. I've tried cleaning it up but I can't see any markings at all. With the fuse bypassed, all the fan speeds function correctly.

Any idea how I can find out what to replace it with?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Quick trip to maplins will sort that out

Reply to
steve robinson

No Maplins handy and besides, what value fuse? They seem to come in a lot of different temperature ratings.

Maybe I should just take a punt on something like this?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

RS components ,think mine cost me 12 pence , easy to change , stick it in the freezer with a couple of crocadile clips use them has heat sinks when you solder it in , use lead based solder lower melting point

Reply to
steve robinson

And how did you know what rating to buy...?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I am not sure it's THAT critical If its designed to cut out if things get too hot, then anything round the 80-100C mark should be OK

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

the one above appears to be 152 degrees C

Reply to
Mrcheerful

On the focus it was stamped on the fuse

Reply to
steve robinson

Some sources here

Reply to
alan

Thanks, some useful tips there.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Lucky you! If you re-read my original message you'll see that there are no markings on mine.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I am not sure it's THAT critical If its designed to cut out if things get too hot, then anything round the 80-100C mark should be OK

I would agree.

Surely the whole purpose of a thermal fuse is to fuse when temperatures get to such a point that it might start melting things, or start a fire.

The Nissan fuse highlighted in this thread would appear to fuse at 150 degrees C - I'm not sure I would fancy something that hot in my car should the fan motor stall or the airflow gets blocked.

I'd go with the 80 - 100C suggested here, and if it blows you then have a proper problem to sort out.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

I've never seen a thermal fuse soldered in, always spot welded or crimped. If you look at my photo you'll see that mine is spot welded.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+