Interesting idea for undoing a certain bolt

Greetings, all,

I was attempting to hire a rattle gun earlier today but the hire shop in question didn't do those. The bloke behind the counter asked what I needed one for and I told him a crankshaft pulley bolt is a bit of an animal to get undone owing to the extreme torque it's under (stretch bolt to boot, I'd imagine, as if a regular one wouldn't be bad enough). He then offered this piece of advice: "When I was working as a mechanic and we needed to get one of those off we'd jam a suitable HD socket up against the bolt head then secure the breaker bar against a nearby chassis cross-member and spin the starter over. Never failed."

I was kind of taken aback by this. I can see the logic in theory but it seems a bit risky for a couple of different reasons. A very last resort, perhaps? Anyone ever tried this?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I've heard of it but never tried. I think in the dim and distant past we did something similar by rocking the car (fore and aft) in gear.

Reply to
newshound

I've read about this before - but wouldn't risk it. Starter motors and ring gears are expensive.

A stout well fitting ring spanner hit hard with a heavy hammer does it. If you have room for this.

I have a 12v (from car battery) impact wheel nut remover which says it can do over 250 lb.ft. It's not a normal impact driver in that it spins up to speed then whacks. Quite large - the size of an old mains electric drill. And not that expensive either. But of course you can't set the torque for tightening things so of limited use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suppose that the shock loading wouldn't be much different from when drivers go to start their car in gear with the handbrake on.

If it was the only means available to me, I would give it a go.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's one of those tips I've read often before - but never actually known anyone try it. Also not sure a starter could provide anymore torque than just hitting the end of your breaker bar with a hammer, etc.

My scenario show the breaker bar slipping off whatever and thrashing round doing untold damage. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Been there too.

Reply to
newshound

That's probably where the name came from!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Once or twice in the past ;) Last time was on an old automatic ford with no easy way of locking the crankshaft -it had broken down and this was on the side of the road :)

Haven't been following this, so it may have been said already, but if the crankshaft bolt is that tight, is it one of the engines that has no key way for the crank pulley and cam belt/chain sprocket?

If so, it is very important to lock the crank properly before loosening the bolt or there is potential to have to part with many beer tokens...

I usually find locking the crank the more difficult bit, undoing the bolt is then relatively easy with a decent socket and a long enough bar.

Reply to
Lee