Is it this any good for jump starting

Having had a recent breakdown in my other thread, even though no battery related, I started thinking this could be handy if the battery ever did play up. And to be fair anyone can get a flat in this mad weather. My battery is on a few years old a Varta bluecell jobby.

But after pondering what I can use to start a car and this came up (above link)

Has great reviews, doesn't seem too bulky, and reasonable in cost ?

I wonder if anyone here has one ?

If you do how long do these units hold there charge for ? I'm hoping I can get one charge it up and leave it in the boot for an emergency.

know not a substitute for a good battery, but a ray of light in trouble.

Although I read jump starting a car can damage electrics with a surge of power ?

Reply to
Matthew.Ridges

"Please note, was previously on sale at £53.30" and you can get if for 1/2 that at Lidl

If you've got a cigarette lighter socket in the boot you can leave it plugged into that.

Only if your batterys gone open circuit, you rev the engine whilst disconnecting the battery & you've not followed the instructions to "Before removing the jumper cables from the vehicle that had the dead battery, switch on the heater blower (high) or the heated rear window, to reduce the voltage peak when the cables are removed." in the manual

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Not that particular one, but yes I have one.

Several months, but they have very little capacity and even less CCA - so not that good to rely on for an emergency. The small compressor is not bad for emergency use, nor the ciggy outlet.

Probably not, see above. A better investment would be a small, cheap car battery mounted in the boot, connected via a split charge relay to the main battery plus a pair of jump leads.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

or a cheap generator which might be useful elsewhere too.

Reply to
Mrcheerful