general jump starting question

Had to jumpstart someone's vehicle tonight. Now, I've long been told to hook up in order of + healthy, + disabled, - healthy, then

-disabled...and that you never wanna go to the ground terminal on the battery of the disabled vehicle bcause of potential hydrogen gas given off in the charging of a lead acid battery, and that could be rather hazardous when that inevitable spark comes from making tha tlast connection--that it's best to find another grounding point away from the battery.

Well, tonight, none of the other darned grounding points (2 hooks i found on the engine, and a bracket of the alternator) on teh disabled vehicle seemed to ground worth a shit.

The disabled vehicle was pretty old (something like a Toyota Corolla maybe?) and beat up and the metal on these things was not the cleanest stuff you'd ever seen, but event with wiggling the contacts around and clamping harder i didn't seem to make much traction.... Finally the dude who owned the disabled car hooked up the - directly to the - terminal and things started working of course, and no one blew up.

So, what do y'all think was the deal? Are engine hooks not tied to engine ground these days? Or was i lacking a wire brush to clean them up? And what aobut the alternator bracket? Or is there something else that was going on?

Best Regards,

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Todd H. wrote: (clip) So, what do y'all think was the deal? (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I don't think it is terribly important in what order you hook up the cables, as long as you make the final connection at some point away from the batteries. Not being able to get a good ground on the other car, my next move would have been to hook the ground cable to his battery, and then the final connection to a good ground on your car away from the battery. His car must have been really corroded. 99 times out of a hundred nothing bad will happen even if you do it wrong, but I have also seen the results of a battery explosion. YOU DO NOT WANT A SULFURIC ACID SHOWER.

On a related point, this is something that is good to remember. When installing or removing a battery, always unhook the ground first, and connect it last. Reason: if your tool touches groundwhile you're doing it, you will not get an arc.

Reply to
l.lichtman

Reply to
lmnop

lmnop wrote: (clip) I carry a portable battery,(clip)And you can pick them up for under 40 bucks. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I paid just a little under $60 for mine at Costco--it has a built-in air compressor as well. Like you, I have found it to be very handy, especially since the compressor runs off the built-in battery. If you buy one of those cheap Harbor Freight impact lug wrenches ($20), you are ready for anything.

Reply to
l.lichtman

Todd, your negative connection probably just wasn't getting a good bite though paint, rust, etc.

I always use the posts for both connections for reason of a better bite. If there's the slightest breeze, then combustible gasses aren't a problem. Otherwise just fan your hand as you remove the clamp. -Danny

Reply to
Danny Russell