Is this battery too big for the car?

I recently put a second hand type 067 (60 Ah, 600 Amps) battery in a Volvo 360. The charging voltage was fine (approx 14V) and it wasn't drawing down on starting the car, but a few days ago the battery was completely flat (3 volts). Is it possible that the alternator is too small to charge a battery of this size (Haynes gives the alternator spec as 55 amp and the battery size as 55 Ah)

Reply to
Peter Thorn

No, it'd just take a few minutes longer to charge.

Either the replacement battery was already near the end of its life, or whatever problem lead you to replace the battery is unresolved.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

OK, thanks, I just wondered.

The previous battery was something like 13 years old :-) I suppose I will check next for current draw. There has been a problem with the fuse for one set of rear lights blowing (not immediately, but after a period of time), so that may have some bearing on the problem.

Reply to
Peter Thorn