Popping out spark plugs

Hi all,

The next exciting installment in the saga that is my Fiesta 1.25Zetec-S (1998)...

I managed to have a spark plug actually pop out of the cylinder head yesterday. It appeared intact and went back in quite happily but it did smash itself and the HT lead through the plastic cover on the top of the engine! It looked an awful mess but was actually fine again once the plug was put back.

The question is: Do plugs do this sometimes? Is it common on Zetecs? It appears to have just unscrewed itself as there was no thread damage either on the plug or the cylinder head. I've never actually had the plugs out of this car as I've only had it a few months. Could I really have been driving for several thousand miles with a plug that was about to pop out?

On Friday I did spill a bit of oil while topping up the engine, which I guess must have got to the spark plug threads but I'm still amazed that it managed to cleanly unscrew itself!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

I've seen that before - on a Nova. All it takes is leaving it a tad loose at the garage (couldn't have bneen me, obviously ;-) and vibration and time does the rest.

First symptoms were rough running, sort of like missing but with a 'cough' thrown in, then suddenly big bangs and very rough running. All in the space of 200 yards.

So I guess that had been working it's way out for a long time with no noticeable effects as well.

Screwed it back in by hand which got us home then tweaked it up when I got there.

Reply to
PC Paul

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

Yeah, I've seen it on a Pinto Transit. Again - no damage, just alarming noise and loss of power till I pulled over and put it back in again.

Reply to
Guy King

Does the Zetec still use those awful taper-fit plugs, or had Ford dropped them by them? They're still used on the old Crossflow engine in the Ka, where they enjoy rusting in place (changing the plugs often equals removing the head and sending it to a machine shop).

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable