KA2. Observations and Qs

Ok thanks, I'm still not exactly sure how this internal slave cylinder works / looks but I have a HBOL on the way so I'll find out soon. ;-)

Understood.

(It would just dribble out the rear crank seal and not go near the plates you mean.)

Yep, if it had needed a clutch when they were considering selling it they may have stuck a cheap one in there ... or it's just plain tired? What is the typical lifespan on a clutch on that sort of vehicle (~80k)? Difficult I know but it was a girl / lady driver for the last

9 years and I think they are generally less aggressive with the clutch than some (if not always sympathetic either ) and the car came from the Ipswich area so maybe less clutch work needed than say within London?

So that would be new clutch / flywheel skim etc.

It does and I think we will, for now at least.

Our daughter took us for a 20 mile ride last night. She did very well considering it was really only her 3rd 'go' in a car (first one in the instructors Punto) and only stalled it the once and that was as she pulled up outside the house (must have thought she was on her twist_and_go scooter!) ;-)

The clutch thing only happened a few times (because she got the revs / clutch timing a bit wrong rather than trying to pull away quickly etc) and it's a shame it does it because it can be a bit off putting, especially to a noob .. "Is that me or the car" sorta thing.

Oh, and you can see much more when you fit one of the dipped beam lamps in it's holder properly (, I thought something felt wrong).

133 miles on the first 20 quid's worth so not terrible and it still wasn't actually off the gauge like when we collected it! (so the mpg is probably a bit better). ;-)

Yesterday we picked up a new aux drive belt and when looking to see where the intermittent water leak was coming from (I think it's where the hose joins the water pump ... or the water pump itself) I noticed the belt was looking a bit tired where it bends backwards round one of the pulleys (all the poly-v's were broken / segmented)? I might see if we can get it in my mates garage on a Sat or Mon (her days off) as she wants to change it herself.

Oh, I had a quick look at the wiring where it passes through from the car into the drivers door (right speaker only just sounding) and it looks like there has been some 'activity' in there in the past. :-( It looks like it's some sort of connector (or hard plastic grommet) in the door / hinge post and a wire has been joined or re-plugged singularly with a blue crimp bullet connector in there? I didn't have the radio fascia in at the time so I couldn't do any wiring / plug wiggle tests but I will.

Other than the above and dealing with the few rusty bits it seems ok .

Cheers ... T i m

Reply to
T i m

the clutch should go well past a 100k, but.................

A new genuine clutch and a flywheel skim would fix it.

leaking engine oil would have a job to reach the clutch and they don't usually leak along the gearbox mainshaft.

The clutch release is a sort of ring shaped cylinder that goes where the thrust bearing would usually be, it incorporates a thrust ring. They are about a hundred quid and you may need a new pipe if you replace it as there is a mod. no idea what years it effects.

cracking of the belt 'teeth' is normal, segments missing is the sign to replace. water pump is the likely leak.

mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ok and understood.

And probably only worthwhile if the clutch actually goes.

Understood.

Ok and do I understand it is 'normal' to replace said cylinder when doing a clutch (given that it's potentially going to be in there for

100k I guess the answer is 'yes')?

Ah, well there is definitely the former and I'll look again for the latter.

Oh, and it looks an a-hole to get at [1] compared with the similar engine as was fitted in the MKII Escort (and now my kitcar). Bloody FWD cars! ;-)

So, even though I can see some corrosion buildup around where the hose where it joins the water pump you think it's more likely the leak be coming from the pump itself? I was going to take to hose off the pump, give everything a clean, a spear of sealant and put it all back and see but in light of your hunch / experience should I just get a new pump and do that and the belt 'anyway'?

Cheers, T i m

[1] I sold the Mrs 850 Mini as a deposit on the kitcar *because* I don't have 10" long multijointed fingers!
Reply to
T i m

I have only ever changed the clutch, if the slave looks ok i have left it in there, none have come back.

If you are getting in there to clean up the hose and you are changing the belt the extra effort to change the pump (cheap part in any case) is worth it, change the coolant too.

Wait till you see what is involved in a change of pump on the zetec engine fiesta, makes yours look easy.

Or change the starter on an A series Mercedes.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ok noted.

Ok, will do.

The existing stuff looks pretty blue and felt quite sticky when I was trying to work out what the small puddle was under the car and where it has come from. I will flush / refill with the right stuff if we do the water pump though.

I bet. I saw a mate changing a starter on summat the other day .... had to take one drive shaft out etc ... FWD's are evil I tells ye!

Reply to
T i m