Lidle on offer Battery Tester

At one time you could buy Bosch rubbers which seem to be the best here. For perhaps a year or so. But stop working perfectly long before there's anything wrong with the mechanics of the blade. But I am probably rather fussy about blade performance.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It isn't really. You need to take a voltage reading pre-start, take another reading after starting.turn off the ignition, turn the headlights on for a few seconds, take a reading, turn the headlights off. take another reading etc etc.

Reply to
Ted H

Just bought one to keep at the stables, for checking fencer and lighting batteries. Seems to give an adequate three-level view (full, OK, low) and easier for the ladies .

Reply to
newshound

Scary stuff. The first DVM I ever bought looks to be the same as the Tandy one involved in the ferry incident, I still have it.

Reply to
newshound

Though to be fair to it, the DVM wasn't involved in the incident at all

- the guy had two black leads on it in a tangle, one of which was connected at both ends to the meter, and the other was connected to nothing - thus shorting out the phases beautifully when he applied it to them.

Coloured and fused leads would have kept that from happening - colour to make it easier to spot, fused so even if you do c*ck up, it goes phut rather more safely.

Reply to
Clive George

newshound wrote on 20/01/2017 :

The meter was not to blame or at fault, it was operator error it seems. He connected the two ends of one lead across the meter and the two ends of the second lead across two phases of the supply - thus putting a direct short across.

None the less the meter was only rated to 500v ac and he was intending to apply it across the 660v of two phases.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield