Locking Wheelnuts - Getting Them Off

Folks,

I have some locking wheelnuts of the three hole variety. Problem is I think I've lost the adapter. So, anyone advise of a way of getting them of?

Alternatively is there some sort of removal kit available?

Regards

Eric R

Reply to
EricR

Hi Eric,

I had just the same problem myself last week.

I took it to a tyre garage and they claimed to have a tool, showed it to me, that would unscrew 19/20 locking nuts; as it happens they could not do mine.

I went to another garage where they were confident they could remove it but would cost me £35.

I understand whacking an old socket into the locking nut and using the rachet is a possibility ?

I finally managed to get a spare off the manufacturer.

Do you know who made the locking nut ? look them up on the internet, you may be able to get a spare

regards

Reply to
Maatt]

What about a cold chisel and a big hammer? Have to be careful you don't knacker the studs tho...

Robert

Reply to
Robert R News

That's just what I was going to suggest. Sometimes you can just drive the nuts round with the chisel too.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malcolm White

Matt,

No idea who the nuts are from, they came with the car, and no markings.

I have tracked down a tool to do the job, socket with a LH thread inside, you simply wind that on until it bites, then you undo. Guess will have to buy one. May be on here for sale soon!

EricR

Reply to
EricR

Done this job on several cars now. The first one was the gf's Saab that was bought s/h and came without the locking nut key (only noticed when it got a slow (fortunately) puncture. Initially called the AA, of which both she and I are members: "£50 call out fee because the car is at your home address, Sir". Bugger that. Phoned several tyre places and none would touch it. After trying mole grips and also chiselling, I finally, resigned myself to knackering a socket or two by hammering on. Was soooo easy and by far the best way. Did all four wheels without damage to car or tool within 15 minutes. After each removal, the locking nut was dislodged from the socket by securing in the jaws of my Workmate and hammering an appropriately sized metal pin through the hole in the base of the socket where the driver slots in. Doddle!

Regards, Jim.

Reply to
Jim Walsh

To everyone thanks, all sorted now..