Low end diesels

Hi all. How well do the smaller engined diesels last? I've seen a 95 corsa 1.5 with 92000 on the clock that looks good.

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
51

106s seem to last well. My bird had one with 140k odd on the clock that was alright.
Reply to
Doki

My petrol 214 has 140k on the clock. Means nothing. It's either been looked after or it hasn't.

Reply to
gazzafield

"gazzafield" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...

Well, yes. It ran fine, but it'd had a replacement engine. But, it was excellent bodywise - galvanised, and rust the biggest thing that'll cause you trouble on any car IMO, and the trim etc. was all fairly happy.

Reply to
Doki

I have a friend who has the same upto 140k its just the rest that is dropping to bits now!

Tom

Reply to
Tom Burton

The 1527cc TUD5 Peugeot engine that they put in the 106, AX, Saxo and Metro usually outlast the rest of the car, do 55mpg regardless of how you use them, cruise happily on the M-way at 85mph, and are in the lower tax bracket. Don't be tempted by the older 1.4 TUD3 unless it's an absolute bargain, the wet liners and/or head gaskets go on those. I wouldn't get the Metro because of the rust issues, again unless it's an absolute bargain. AX,

106 and Saxo are all galvanised body and much of the engineering is common between all 3. AX crash safety rating is poor and can be broken into by a four year old child with a lollipop stick but hey, it's not a perfect world. :-) Dunno about the 106 and Saxo on that score.
Reply to
Vim Fuego

*But* it had a new engine at some time....
Reply to
David R

Yebbut a new engine isn't really here nor there. Bodywork's what'll make you scrap the car IMO.

Reply to
Doki

Doki ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not on anything (Fords and Discos excluded) built in the last fifteen years or so.

Small niggly but expensive things kill cars. A suspension bush here, a wiper motor there, a cracked windscreen and a couple of bald tyres.

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian wrote in news:Xns98C1EB49D7C66adrianachapmanfreeis@204.153.244.170:

Many cars seem to get scrapped because the owners deem them uneconomic to repair when the repair bill is close to or exceeds the residual value of the vehicle. This, IMHO, is often a false economy, due to the fact that running a newer car may entail similar sized bills which still have to be paid to keep it on the road, in addition to depreciation costs.

OTOH, I quite understand that people may want to get rid simply because they are fed up with the niggly repairs and just fancy something newer, and there's no more appropriate time than when a big repair bill looms!

Stu

Reply to
Stu