Citroën AX '95 loosing battery powe r

"Capt'in, we'rrrrre loosing power! She can't hold it much longah!"

This is juuust about what my otherwise very fine Citroën AX 1.1 from '95 yells at me every morning .. and about every time it has been parked for more than only a few hours.

I've been working my way through the car, to find "somewhere" where a light be on all the time, or something like that, but to no avail.

When I bought the car - not so long ago - I was told that the charger belt had been missing(!) for some time, but the shop mechanic had replaced it, and the car had run fine since.

So, my question is now: Besides from replacing the battery (which is kind of obvious), are there any other things I should look out for? Any other known causes for this problem?

Please do not respond by email, but post your reply to this group - maybe someone else might gain something from your answer :)

Best regards,

Casper Helenius, Denmark

Reply to
Casper Helenius

Look at the battery voltage when running, it should be around 13.8.

Disconnect the battery lead, and connect up a multimeter to the two ends. Measure the standby current.

If the first is under 13.5V or so, after a few minutes, then there is a fault. If the second is over 0.5A or so, then there is a fault.

The first is likely to be some sort of alternator or regulator problem, the second a parasitic load somewehre. Unplug all the fuses one by one to find where the current is going.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

If it's over 0.5A standy current there's a *huge* fault. If it's over 0.1A it's still very worrying and worth tracking down the cause.

See my not-that-long-ago post to this NG on how to use a multimeter if you require that kind of detail.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Vim Fuego skrev:

Vim, Ian,

Thanks a lot for your kind replies.

I'm gonna try running my meter through it as you described when the weather clears up :)

Have a nice weekend, both of you!

Best regards,

Casper Helenius, Denmark

Reply to