Method to Change car battery

Vauxhall Vectra1.8 1999 I need to change my battery- I am aware that data from the radio, clock etc will be wiped out without a battery connect. What is the best way to change a battery and keep all the data from being lost ? Advice appreciated

Reply to
ramjaminn1

One of those things that plugs into a car cig lighter socket.

Reply to
Conor

Connect another battery via jump leads as if to jump start the car and be careful not to disconnect it when removing the terminals. Perhaps tape the clips in place.

A PP3 battery should also work - provided you don't take any other load like interior lights, etc.

But at the end of the day, just how long does it take to set a clock and store a few radio stations?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In fact, the last three cars I've owned have kept all the radio station presets after battery reconnection.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

None of mine do - including the very expensive Blaupunkt I've recently bought.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They only work where the ciggy lighter socket is live with the ignition off, or if you leave it on whilst main battery is swapped. Probably more useful is a small 12v battery fitted with crock clips - which ever, you need to take care not to allow the lugs to short out.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Thank you very much for your advice- much appreciated- Its not setting the clock or radio stations that concerns me- you are quite right- that's quite simple and quick to do. I have been told that I would have to re-enter the code for the radio which I do not have

Reply to
ramjaminn1

Thank you very much for your advice- much appreciated

Reply to
ramjaminn1

What is the make, model and serial number of the radio. I have programmes to decode some radios by this information.

Reply to
Shiver Me Timbers