Battery time

When I had an oil change today, the dealership told me I might be in line for a new battery before too long. Is there a way to change one out without losing the radio code, etc?

Reply to
BK

"BK" wrote in news:5vOfp.20154$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe03.iad:

The dealership (and good independent garages) will have a "power pack" that they plug in somehow to keep the circuitry alive while the battery is out of the loop. I don't know if there's a cheap equivalent for home use.

I recommend getting the pro's to replace your battery, that way you don't need to worry about the radio code.

Reply to
Tegger

Does the cigarette lighter have power with the ignition off? If it does, a battery charger connected to it would probably do the trick. The voltage will go up to 16 volts but the electronics should be able to take it,

What if the batteries are changed with the engine running? Again the voltage will go up to 16 volts If the electronics fail, that is a bad design. If we have a bad battery connection the electronics fail !! ??

I don't recommend this but I probably put the 2 batteries in parallel, remove the old one without disconnecting the parallel configuration, install the new one and disconnect the old one.

Do not follow my suggestions. I have been told that I like to take chances.

Reply to
John

John wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

No.

My understanding is that this is a VERY BAD IDEA!

I don't like to take chances wirh other people's cars.

Reply to
Tegger